-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
Turmoil deepens for 2030 Olympic Games as chief executive quits
The chief executive of the 2030 Winter Olympics organising committee (Cojop) in the French Alps has stepped down after a serious falling out with the president Edgar Grospiron, it was announced on Wednesday.
"At the meeting of the board on Sunday February 22 2026 in Milan, Cojop and other interested parties took note of the departure of chief executive of Cojop, Cyril Linette," read the organisers statement.
Linette had been in his post since last April, personally chosen by Grospiron, and becomes the fourth senior executive to leave in the past two months.
Linette's departure seemed inevitable since a statement was issued following a meeting of all the interested parties, including the political leaders of the regions, earlier this month.
They said they had: "collectively noted irreparable differences between president Edgar Grospiron and the chief executive Cyril Linette" adding "they had given their go ahead to the president of Cojop to conduct the required discussions" and "to propose the most convenient solution".
Wednesday's statement was published shortly before Grospiron was to appear before a French Senate committee, along with Pierre-Antoine Molina, the civil servant responsible for the Olympics and the Paralympics, devoted to discussing the crisis affecting the leadership.
Grospiron, who won freestyle skiing Olympic gold in the 1992 Games in Albertville, appeared via a video link and refused to divulge what the disagreements between himself and Linette had been saying they were covered by a "confidentiality clause".
French Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu had entered the debate on Monday, before the ceremony when the Olympic flag was officially raised in Albertville in the Alps.
"Everyone must be at their battle stations and pull in the same direction in order to bring 2030 to fruition," he said.
- 'As a team' -
The departure of Linette follows that of the chair of the organising team's compensation committee Bertrand Meheut, a former president of the Canal+ media group, director of operations Anne Murac and communications chief Arthur Richter.
Grospiron for his part said he was "astonished" by a question from a senator as to whether he would also be resigning.
"I am both surprised and astonished because I have no idea where you would have heard that I was going to resign," said Grospiron.
The 56-year-old denounced the "media circus" surrounding the crisis at the top of the organising committee.
"I have always been and I am still 100 percent involved and devoted to this project," he said.
He admitted that not everything was sweetness and light.
"These difficulties we are experiencing must be looked at clearly, their existence cannot be denied," he said.
"In order to get over them we have to act methodically, rigorously, and as a team."
Wednesday's statement paid tribute to the work done by Linette.
However, they added the decision "is in line with the collective desire to give Cojop a new elan thanks to a refreshed governance, at a time when with the foundations laid, we are entering a new key phase of the delivery of the project".
The crisis at the top had drawn comment from Pierre-Olivier Beckers, the head of the International Olympic Committee's coordination commission for the 2030 Games, in his update on preparations given to the IOC Session in Milan earlier this month.
The Belgian aristocrat conceded the French team had a shorter preparation time than other Winter Olympics, having only begun work in 2024, when President Emmanuel Macron guaranteed the French state's financial backing, but he warned rapid progress was required.
"Once the Milano-Cortina Games conclude, the world's attention will shift rapidly towards 2030," he said.
"Expectations will rise, the pace will intensify, the work ahead is substantial, and the clock will start ticking even louder.
"But my feeling is that if you work as a strong trusting team, a collective team, guided and inspired by the vision and the mission of this project, together you can only succeed."
S.Barghouti--SF-PST