-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
Penge and Bridgeman share Riviera lead with McIlroy in hot pursuit
Marco Penge and Jacob Bridgeman fired impressive seven-under par 64s on Friday to share the US PGA Tour Genesis Invitational halfway lead, one stroke in front of world number two Rory McIlroy.
England's Penge posted seven birdies without a bogey on the way to a 12-under par total of 130 at Riviera Country Club, where Bridgeman birdied the last three holes to join him.
Northern Ireland star McIlroy, who completed his career Grand Slam with a Masters victory last year, was snapping at their heels after a six-under par 65 that featured an eagle and four birdies.
Meanwhile world number one Scottie Scheffler made the cut by the skin of his teeth to push his streak of cuts made to 68 -- the longest active streak on the PGA Tour.
"I think my driving has been kind of the way I normally drive the ball. It's definitely the best part of my game by far," said Penge, a 27-year-old from England who won three times on the DP World Tour last year to head the group of 10 players from the circuit who secured dual membership on the US tour this year.
"But the way I putted, you know, especially inside 10 feet, and my pace behind it has been really on point."
Penge, Bridgeman and McIlroy were among the four players who emerged from the weather-hit first round sharing the lead on five-under. McIlroy and Bridgeman finished their rounds on Thursday, while Penge and Aaron Rai had to pull double-duty on Friday.
"I think I just managed it really well today," said Penge, who birdied the first and sixth before five birdies on the back nine, starting with a 22-foot birdie putt at the 12th.
He got up and down from a greenside bunker for birdie at 17, and even after the long day wasn't feeling tired.
"I think when you're playing well and kind of up at the top of the leaderboard, I think you can kind of keep going," he said.
Bridgeman, chasing his first tour title, opened with a 34-foot eagle putt at the first and added seven birdies the rest of the way. That included a three-birdie burst at nine, 10 and 11 and, after a bogey at 12, birdies at 16, 17 and 18.
"I'm excited," said Bridgeman, who finished tied for eighth at Pebble Beach last week. "I'm excited to be back in the hunt trying to get a win."
- Tidying up -
McIlroy, whose Pebble Beach bid was doomed by a raft of mistakes, was delighted to post a bogey-free round.
"No bogeys is always nice," McIlroy said. "Making one bogey through the first 36 holes compared to the big numbers I had last week ... Tidied everything up, which is good."
"Overall really pleased with the day and excited for the weekend."
Scheffler was less pleased with his work so far but certainly pumped to be heading into the weekend after drilling a seven-foot par-saving putt on 18 to make the cut without a stroke to spare.
"I tried to make a mess of a pretty basic chip there on 18," Scheffler said. "So it was nice to be able to hole a putt and get another two cracks at the course."
Scheffler carded a three-under 68 for an even par total and now hasn't missed a cut since August 2022.
However, since marching to a season-opening win at La Quinta last month the four-time major-winner has had to battle to keep his streak alive.
His three-over par first round at Riviera marked the third straight event in which he was over par through 18 holes.
Q.Bulbul--SF-PST