-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
Stenson set for LIV debut as Trump course hosts event
Sacked European Ryder Cup captain Henrik Stenson makes his LIV Golf debut on Friday as Donald Trump's Bedminster course hosts the second US event of the rebel Saudi-backed circuit against a backdrop of protests.
Stenson was stripped of his Ryder Cup captaincy last week after confirmation he had opted to sign with LIV in a deal reportedly worth close to $50 million.
It was just the latest bombshell to detonate across the golfing world, which has been plunged into a virtual civil war this year with the emergence of the LIV circuit.
The upstart series, fronted by Greg Norman, is bankrolled by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, and has sought to lure top golfers with contracts which in some cases run into the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Human Rights groups have criticised the venture, saying it is a "sportswashing" exercise being used to boost Saudi Arabia's international reputation.
Stenson's decision to join LIV follows defections by several stars from the United States and Europe, including major winners such as Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Patrick Reed and Bryson DeChambeau.
Those players have all been hit with indefinite bans from the PGA Tour.
Several of Stenson's former European Ryder Cup team-mates, including Ian Poulter, Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood have also signed with LIV Golf.
This week's tournament has an extra dimension given that it is taking place at former US President Trump's Trump National course at Bedminster, New Jersey.
Bedminster was due to have hosted this year's PGA Championship major, but was stripped of that right last year in the wake of the January 6 riot by the former president's supporters at the US Capitol.
- Trump: 'take the money' -
Trump has subsequently emerged as a vocal advocate for LIV, last week urging golfers to "take the money" and sign with the circuit.
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal published on Tuesday, avid golfer Trump again spoke admiringly of LIV, describing it as "one of the hottest things to have happened in sports."
"I think LIV has been a great thing for Saudi Arabia, for the image of Saudi Arabia," Trump told the paper.
"I think it's going to be an incredible investment from that standpoint, and that's more valuable than lots of other things because you can't buy that—even with billions of dollars."
Trump has faced protests for hosting the tournament by relatives of people killed and injured in the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers involved in the atrocity were Saudi nationals.
In an open letter to Trump released last week, the 9/11 Justice group urged him to cut ties to LIV Golf. Another Trump golf property, Trump National at Doral in Florida, will stage the October 27-30 finale to the series.
"It is difficult for us to fully express the extreme pain, frustration and anger this upcoming tournament at Bedminster causes our community," the group wrote.
"It is incomprehensible to us that a former President of the United States would cast our loved ones aside for personal financial gain."
Trump however brushed off the criticism he has faced from 9/11 families, and also played down the 2018 murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.
"I can say that from the standpoint of Khashoggi, that has died down so much," Trump told the Wall Street Journal.
"It really seems to have totally died down."
Commenting on criticism from 9/11 families, Trump added: "I don't know much about the 9/11 families, I don't know what is the relationship to this, and their very strong feelings, and I can understand their feelings.
"I can't really comment on that because I don't know exactly what they're saying, and what they're saying who did what."
G.AbuGhazaleh--SF-PST