-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
'He must hate me': Medvedev renews Tien rivalry at Australian Open
Three-time finalist Daniil Medvedev renews his rivalry with up-and-coming Learner Tien in the Australian Open last 16, saying Friday: "I don't like to play him, but he must hate to play me as well."
Russia's Medvedev booked the Melbourne clash after battling through 6-7 (5/7), 4-6, 7-5, 6-0, 6-3 in 3hr 43min against Fabian Marozsan of Hungary.
The American 25th seed Tien kept up his end of the bargain by beating Nuno Borges of Portugal in straight sets.
The 20-year-old Tien and former number one Medvedev, 29, met three times last year, with the younger man winning twice.
That included a five-set marathon in the first round of the Australian Open, when Tien was a teenage qualifier.
"The thing is that I kind of don't like to play him, but he must hate to play me as well," said Medvedev, who anticipates "long, brutal rallies" in Sunday's showdown.
"I'm going to try to enjoy the game of tennis. Of course, try to do my best to maybe surprise him somewhere," added Medvedev, Australian Open runner-up in 2021, 2022 and 2024.
Medvedev booked his spot after coming back from 2-0 down for the fifth time in his career.
"It was a very tough match," said the 2021 US Open champion, who had a wretched major record last year.
The sometimes combustible Medvedev was pleased that he kept his volatile temper under control.
"I did manage to stay calm, even in the fifth set and managed to hit some good shots even in the fifth," he said.
Marozsan, ranked 47, was bidding to reach the last 16 of a Grand Slam for the first time.
They exchanged breaks to start in a sign of things to come.
The two players went to a first-set tiebreak, where the Hungarian edged in front and held his nerve on his second set point.
Medvedev had vowed to be more "positive" on court after a 2025 where he lost in the first round at the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open.
His emotions began showing and he was on the ropes as he fell 4-1 down in the second set in the Margaret Court Arena sunshine.
Medvedev, who warmed up for Melbourne by winning the Brisbane title, reined in his emotions and got one break back, but Marozsan sealed the second set.
The unseeded 26-year-old appeared in control, but back roared Medvedev to turn the tide.
He won the third set and took that momentum into the fourth, the Russian racing through the set without dropping a game in just 19 minutes.
It sent a gripping match into a deciding set, where both struggled to hold serve, before Medvedev scraped through.
"Five sets again," he wrote afterwards on the on-court camera.
F.AbuZaid--SF-PST