-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
Alcaraz kicks off career Grand Slam bid with tough Australian Open test
Carlos Alcaraz kickstarted his bid for a career Grand Slam with a battling three-set beating of home hope Adam Walton at the Australian Open on Sunday.
The Spanish superstar won 6-3, 7-6 (7/2), 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena, blasting eight aces and 38 winners to set up a second-round clash with Germany's Yannick Hanfmann.
But he also made 36 unforced errors, more than his 81st-ranked opponent.
Top seed Alcaraz already has six major titles aged just 22, but success on the Melbourne Park hard courts remains a glaring hole in his resume.
He has not made it past the quarter-finals in four trips to Australia, losing at that stage last year to Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev the year before.
Should he snap his Australia drought, Alcaraz would become the youngest man to bank a career Grand Slam, surpassing retired compatriot Rafael Nadal, who secured all four majors by the age of 24.
He would also be the youngest man in the Open era to win seven Grand Slams since Bjorn Borg aged 23.
The writing was on the wall for Walton with Alcaraz never losing in the first round of a Slam, but the 26-year-old gave him a thorough examination.
The reigning French Open and US Open champion started steadily, probing for openings.
He worked four break points and finally converted on the fifth in game eight with a sizzling forehand winner before serving out for the set, showing unmatched speed and court coverage.
But against the odds, Alcaraz slumped 3-1 down in the second set as Walton held his own.
Alcaraz, who won a Tour-leading eight titles last season, fought back but the Australian took his highly fancied opponent all the way to a tiebreak, where the Spaniard clicked into another gear.
He carried the form into the third set, where he broke to love for a 4-2 lead and coasted home.
S.AbuJamous--SF-PST