-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
Taiwan's Lin wins India Open marred by 'dirty' conditions
Taiwan's Lin Chun-yi won the India Open badminton men's singles title on Sunday, after playing conditions that included bird droppings on court and a monkey in the stands drew criticism.
Lin, 26, beat third seed Jonatan Christie of Indonesia 21-10, 21-18 in 38 minutes to clinch the men's crown at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi.
In the women's singles final, world number one An Se-young of South Korea beat China's world number two Wang Zhi Yi 21-13, 21-11 to extend her domination on the court.
An has won six consecutive titles since the Denmark Open in October last year, compiling a 30-match winning streak.
However, the sheen was taken off the on-court action after players, including Denmark's Mia Blichfeldt, slammed the "dirty and unhygienic" playing conditions.
"Everyone is stressed and frustrated by the conditions we are being met with at a World Tour Super 750 event," she said in a social media post on Friday.
"At first, you try to laugh it off, but in the end, it is neither funny nor fair to the players or anyone participating in this event."
Blichfeldt, ranked 20, bowed out in the second round.
There were problems on most days of the tournament, including play being disrupted during a semi-final on Saturday when debris from a bird's nest fell on the court.
Bird droppings were also seen on courts, while TV pictures also showed a monkey making its way into the stands.
World number three Anders Antonsen of Denmark also withdrew from the tournament, citing "extreme" air pollution in Delhi.
The criticism will come as a blow to India's preparations for hosting the badminton World Championships in August, as well as the Commonwealth Games in 2030.
India, the world's most populous country, has also announced ambitions to host the 2036 Olympics.
Badminton Association of India (BAI) secretary Sanjay Mishra said the problems would be fixed before the World Championship.
"I know there are a few issues. But there's nothing that we can't manage," Mishra told local media.
P.AbuBaker--SF-PST