-
Macron hosts Saudi crown prince for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Swiss forward Embolo joins Atlanta United
-
Jamieson gets Trump call after ending 14-year golf title drought
-
Former cricket captains appeal to Pakistan over Khan health care
-
Norwegian King Harald's health has 'deteriorated': palace
-
Latest 'Spider-Man' tops American box office for 4th weekend
-
Man City snatch late win in Maresca debut, Iraola's Liverpool rescue dramatic draw
-
Szoboszlai's last-gasp leveller rescues Liverpool in Newcastle draw
-
Trump takes starring role at Washington's IndyCar debut
-
Landfill collapse kills 30 in Guinea
-
Villa boss Emery says it's down to Watkins to explain absence
-
'Unbelievable' Cherki proves his point to Man City boss Maresca
-
Duplantis labours to 'super difficult' pole vault win at Silesia Diamond League
-
10-man Atletico snatch Villarreal draw as Alvarez returns
-
Max smash at zany Zandvoort: Three stories from the Dutch GP
-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
Zverev drops set on way to Australian Open second round
World number three Alexander Zverev dropped a set before reaching the Australian Open second round Sunday in a shaky start to his bid to make another final at the season-opening Grand Slam.
The German, who lost in three sets to Jannik Sinner in the 2025 tournament decider, ground past 41st-ranked Canadian Gabriel Diallo 6-7 (1/7), 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena.
It put him into round two at Melbourne Park for a tenth straight year as he looks to disrupt the domination of Sinner and world number one Carlos Alcaraz, who have shared the last eight major titles.
But he had to work hard to tame the lanky 24-year-old, who showed his potential with a maiden ATP title last year.
"Definitely wasn't happy when I saw the draw," he said.
"He's very talented and unbelievably aggressive. It was hard to find my rhythm."
Zverev was broken early and slumped 4-1 behind in the opening set, struggling with the Canadian's booming serve.
Diallo went 40-0 up on his own serve with a chance to take a 5-2 lead, but the German dug deep to haul himself back to 4-4.
He saved a set point at 4-5 and it went to a tiebreak, where it was all Diallo.
Zverev regrouped at the changeover and came out firing, racing 4-0 clear with a double break to power through set two in 31 minutes and dial up the pressure.
Zverev scored a crucial break in the seventh game of set three when Diallo fluffed a forehand from the baseline and took control as his opponent's error count surged.
Another break on Diallo's first service game in set four set Zverev on his way to sealing the match.
His reward is a clash next with either Australian world number 49 Alexei Popyrin or 50th-ranked Frenchman Alexandre Muller.
The 28-year-old Zverev finished the 2025 season with only one title, in Munich, having been beset by injuries.
It was enough to end as number three in the world behind Alcaraz and Sinner, but he disappointed at the other three Grand Slams with a major title still elusive.
Should he finally triumph in Melbourne on his 40th Slam appearance, Zverev will go second on the Open era list for most attempts before winning a Grand Slam title.
Goran Ivanisevic holds the record, winning Wimbledon in 2001 on his 48th attempt.
Y.Zaher--SF-PST