-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Tsitsipas breezes past Djere in Monte Carlo
Titleholder Stefanos Tsitsipas reached the Monte Carlo Masters quarter-finals on Thursday by beating Serbian Laslo Djere in straight sets 7-5, 7-6 (7/1).
Tsitsipas -- the world number five -- will play either Diego Schwartzman of Argentina or Italy's Lorenzo Musetti in Friday's semi-finals.
"I had to put in a very good performance," said Tsitsipas, who lost in five sets to Novak Djokovic in the French Open final last year.
"Laslo did not hand me victory, but I tried to stay 100 percent focused.
"The tie break was pivotal and I am delighted to have produced that level of tennis," added the 23-year-old Greek.
Tsitsipas was joined in the last eight by Indian Wells champion Taylor Fritz, who saw off his doubles partner Sebastian Korda, the conqueror of recent Miami victor Carlos Alcaraz in the previous round.
Incredibly it is the first time two Americans had reached the third round of the tournament since eventual finalist Jimmy Arias and Aaron Krickstein did in 1987.
"It's crazy really, I have reached the quarter-finals in four of the last five Masters tournaments," said the 13th-ranked Fritz.
"If I had been luckier in Miami I could have been five from five.
"I am in a good place at the moment. I seem to be improving all the time."
Fritz will play last year's quarter-finalist Alejandro Davidovich, the Spaniard who in the previous round knocked out world number one Djokovic. He progressed by beating the experienced Belgian David Goffin 6-4, 6-1 on Thursday.
"I carried the emotion of beating Djokovic into this match," said Davidovich.
"I knew it would be a tough game as David won in Marrakech last weekend.
"However, he appeared more tired than I was and I am delighted to have reached the quarter-finals."
There was an upset though as Norway's fourth-seed Casper Ruud followed Djokovic and Alcaraz out of the tournament.
The Miami finalist was beaten by the talented but inconsistent Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria, 6-3, 7-5.
D.AbuRida--SF-PST