-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
Oil rises, global stocks mixed as markets track Iran developments
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Oil prices dip on report of US sanctions relief for Iran during talks
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
Ex-Google exec takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
'Mesmeric' movie on secret lives of Nigeria's rich wows Cannes
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Blockbuster 'Hope' shows S.Korea's growing movie muscle
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
-
Iran Nobel winner discharged from hospital: supporters
-
Spanish court orders 55 mn euro tax refund to Shakira
-
Ryanair flags Iran war uncertainty as annual profit jumps
Muguruza on a mission as she sweeps into second round
Garbine Muguruza admitted she had no clue about her Australian Open opponent Tuesday, but the third seed quickly adapted to keep intact her decade-long record of never losing in the first round in Melbourne.
The Spanish world number three began her campaign for a third Grand Slam title by easing past 77th-ranked Frenchwoman Clara Burel 6-3, 6-4.
Muguruza won the French Open in 2016 and Wimbledon a year later before a drastic dip in form sent her tumbling down the rankings.
But the 28-year-old enjoyed a resurgence last year, winning titles at Chicago and Dubai before clinching the season-ending WTA Finals in November.
"I never lost the motivation," said Muguruza after carrying last season's momentum on to Rod Laver Arena. "There are always ups and downs as an athlete.
"The crowd makes a big difference when they are behind you. You feel fire and excitement, so I am so happy this year the crowd is here," said Muguruza, a finalist in Melbourne in 2020 when she was beaten in three sets by Sofia Kenin.
She came in with no knowledge of Burel's game.
"Well, it felt very good. I didn't know really who I was facing. We've never played before," she said.
"Very tricky. You're always nervous going out there on Rod Laver, which I love, and starting a Grand Slam campaign.
"I've always gone through the first round and very happy the way I played and, of course, controlling the nerves."
She got an early break in the first set to take command as Burel was dogged by poor serving and unforced errors, breaking again in the ninth game.
Burel, who fell at the first hurdle in her two previous Australian Open appearances, kept battling in front of a sparse crowd.
Muguruza dictated the points early in the second set and earned a break in the fourth game, only for the plucky Burel to break back with an overhead smash as the Spaniard served for the match.
It proved to be a short-lived fightback as Muguruza, who will next meet French veteran Alize Cornet, won the next game to clinch the match.
B.Khalifa--SF-PST