-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
-
Kushner to meet Netanyahu after talks with Hamas on Gaza plan
-
Nearly 13,000 displaced after deadly Indonesian quake
-
Photos, memories all that remain for Colombia's bereaved after quake
-
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
-
Sabalenka squeezes out win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Is this cave in Turkey where Homer wrote 'The Odyssey'?
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea hours before start
-
Winning back walls from gangs, artists fill El Salvador's towns with color
-
Jason Arday: UK academic who died amid plagiarism storm
-
Opening arguments expected in Tupac murder trial
-
Sabbath cafe clash lays bare Israel faultlines
-
As machinery removes rubble, hopes for survivors from Colombian quake dwindle
-
Top-ranked Scheffler powers to PGA St. Jude Championship victory
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with South Korea
-
Jacquet scores on Liverpool debut in friendly win over Como
-
Zambia's Hichilema takes early lead in reelection bid
-
Hawaii's Big Island begins recovery efforts as Hurricane Lala downgrades, moves west
-
Sabalenka squeezes out a win on sixth match point in Cincinnati
-
Spidey swings high for third weekend in N. American box office
-
Duplantis dominant, Hunt hits four and Asher-Smith makes history
-
Eagle and late birdie lift Jeeno to LPGA Portland Classic win
-
Spanish soldier dies in Aragon wildfire
-
Duplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault title
-
PSG beaten by Lens in French Champions' Trophy
Mickelson says he does not condone rights abuses on eve of Saudi-backed golf series
Phil Mickelson said Wednesday he does not condone human rights violations in Saudi Arabia as he prepares to tee off in the inaugural event of the divisive LIV Golf Invitational Series funded by the Gulf kingdom.
The six-time major winner confirmed earlier this week he had signed up to play in the breakaway series, teeing off at the Centurion Club outside London on Thursday.
The $25 million event in St Albans -- the biggest prize pot in history -- is the first of eight tournaments this year bankrolled by Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund, worth a combined $255 million.
A number of marquee names are in the 48-man field for the opener including Mickelson, two-time major champion Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia.
Reports say Bryson DeChambeau, Patrick Reed and Rickie Fowler will become the latest stars to join the series.
Organisers are pledging to "supercharge" golf, offering 54-hole tournaments with no cuts, simultaneous "shotgun starts" and a team element.
But the series is being staged in defiance of the main tours, which are weighing up how to react in a power struggle that is rocking the sport.
Mickelson, 51, has not played since the publication of comments in February in which he criticised the US PGA Tour and LIV Golf's Saudi backers.
In an interview with author Alan Shipnuck, the left-hander said LIV Golf was an opportunity to gain leverage over the PGA Tour.
However, Mickelson described the new venture's backers as "scary" with a "horrible record on human rights", noting the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in a Saudi consulate.
Saudi agents killed and dismembered Khashoggi, an insider turned critic, in the kingdom's Istanbul consulate in October 2018. His remains have never been found.
Fallout from the killing continues to mar Saudi Arabia's image, especially in the United States.
Amnesty International on Wednesday renewed its call for players to speak out about human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia, rather than being "willing stooges" of "sportswashing".
Mickelson faced an uncomfortable grilling at a press conference on the eve of the tournament, often pausing before answering questions carefully.
The American, who entered the room at the Centurion Club wearing dark glasses, was asked what he meant by describing the Saudis as "scary".
"Certainly I have made, said and done a lot of things I regret and I'm sorry for that and for the hurt that it's caused a lot of people," he said.
"I don't condone human rights violations at all, nobody here does, any throughout the world, and I'm certainly aware of what has happened with Jamal Khashoggi and I think it's terrible.
"I've also seen the good that the game of golf has done throughout history and I believe that LIV Golf is going to do a lot of good for the game as well and I'm excited about this opportunity."
- PGA Tour warnings -
Players opting into LIV Golf have done so despite PGA Tour warnings of disciplinary action.
While a number of players have resigned from the Tour in order to compete in the series, including Johnson, Mickelson said he had no intention of following suit.
"I worked really hard to earn a lifetime exemption," said the 45-time winner on the Tour. "And I don't want to give that up. I don't believe I should have to."
Mickelson refused to confirm or deny if he had been suspended, or currently was suspended, by the PGA Tour.
And he did not dispel rumours that he is receiving an eye-watering fee of $200 million to compete in the new series.
"I feel that contract agreements should be private," Mickelson said. "Doesn't seem to be the case, but it should be."
Stars including Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm and Tiger Woods have all committed themselves to the PGA Tour, but Ian Poulter believes more top golfers could defect in future.
"There's a huge investment coming into the game of golf and sport in general... other players will be looking in with interest this week, and I think they will want to come and see what it's all about," said the Englishman, who is in the field in St Albans.
Players will compete as individuals and teams for purses of $25 million in all seven regular-season events, being held in North America, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, with the winner of each competition taking home $4 million.
The eighth and final event will be a team championship, with a total prize fund of $50 million.
H.Jarrar--SF-PST