-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
-
Ebola outbreak now DR Congo's deadliest ever
-
Dickwella, Dinusha hit fifties as Sri Lanka fight back
-
Germany's coalition split over putting climate in constitution
-
Bangladesh Test cricket reboot delivers in style with historic win
-
Ukraine badminton star: 'How can you feel normal when bombs are falling?'
-
Virgin moves closer to launching Eurostar rival in 2030
-
Rain brings respite as Belgium wrestles massive wildfire
-
Indian marble waste dump becomes unlikely tourist attraction
-
Most stocks rise as US data ease rate fears but fuel economic worries
-
Coach says Australia 'let standards slip' in shock Bangladesh loss
-
India take control of Galle Test as Sri Lanka slump to 99-5
-
Hawaii recovery efforts begin as Lala downgraded, moves west
-
Australia's mushroom murderer appeals conviction
-
Food safety crackdown snares Mumbai's famed restaurants
-
The Nigerian fishing community being eaten up by the Atlantic
-
Trump says US scaling back military drills with Seoul hours before start
Writer Boris Pahor, survivor of Europe's horrors, dies aged 108
Slovene author Boris Pahor, who suffered the oppression of Fascist Italy and the horror of Nazi camps in a life dedicated to the defence of minorities, has died at the age of 108, local media reported Monday.
Italian President Sergio Mattarella hailed Pahor as a "witness and victim of the horrors caused by war, by inflated nationalism and totalitarian ideologies".
Pahor was best-known for "Necropolis" (1967), an autobiographical novel written after a visit to a Nazi camp where he had been held 20 years earlier.
Translated into several languages, it evoked the brutality and horror of what he witnessed in the camps and his guilt at surviving.
Italian Culture Minister Dario Franceschini paid tribute to "a giant of the 20th century" who wrote about the dark periods of that time with "skill, lucidity and without pulling punches".
Born on August 26, 1913, in what is now Italy's northeastern coastal city of Trieste, Pahor was arrested by the Nazis in 1944 for his involvement with the anti-fascist Slovenian resistance.
He was held at five concentration camps including Natzweiler-Struthof in France's Alsace region and Dachau and Bergen-Belsen in Germany.
When he was born, Trieste was still part of the Austro-Hungarian empire and home to a significant Slovenian community.
The city became part of Italy in the post-World War I break-up of the defeated empire, and the Slovenes fell prey to campaigns of "Italianisation".
- Conquerer in Slovene -
Pahor was seven years old when the Blackshirt militia loyal to fascist leader Benito Mussolini set fire to the Slovenian cultural centre in Trieste in July 1920, an incident that forever marked him.
Slovenian language and media were banned, and books burned. Names were Italianised; Slovenians were arrested, and resistors executed.
"Under Austria, the Slovenes were able to develop their culture. With Italy, we knew we were going to lose everything," he told AFP in an interview in 2009.
As a teenager in Trieste, he realised he was one of the "bugs" that Mussolini wanted to crush and vowed loyalty to his Slovene identity.
"I started to put my identity on paper, to write about my street, the sea, the quays. I conquered the town in Slovene," he said.
With more than a dozen books to his name, Pahor was also politically involved and stood for European and regional elections for the Slovene Union in 2009 and 2018 respectively, representing Italy's Slovene minority, which now numbers at least 80,000 people.
"In this Europe, dominated by the economy, the minorities, their culture and their language do not have the place that they deserve," he told AFP.
Pahor was particularly lauded in Slovenia, which became independent from the disintegrating Yugoslavia in 1991, receiving its highest award for cultural achievement and appointed to its Academy of Sciences and Arts.
Of his exceptional longevity, he told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera in 2018 that "since he had come out of the concentration camps alive, he had become indifferent to the passage of time.
"I do not stop, I look ahead," he said.
A.AlHaj--SF-PST