-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
-
Crude extends gains, most stocks drop as Mideast hopes dim
-
ISS to host first spacewalk by Frenchwoman
-
Rift deepens as Asia football chief hits back at Qatar in Infantino saga
-
Philippine student killed in livestreamed school shooting
-
India extend lead to 294 in first Sri Lanka Test
-
More Trump-Kim 'love'? What we know about North Korea
-
Asian allies stress 'critical cooperation' as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Major Meta trial begins as lawyers spar over witnesses, damages
-
Williams sisters fall at Cincinnati while Zverev advances
-
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal
-
Transylvania's fortified churches face fragile future
-
Australian cricketer Warner ordered to use breathalyser vehicle lock
-
China mourns former premier Zhu Rongji with flags lowered, funeral
-
A Viking longship in 'The Odyssey'? It's a case of history meets Hollywood
-
Philippine student killed in rare school shooting
-
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
-
Arsenal primed for Premier League title defence as rivals face questions
-
Japan lights torch as countdown begins to Asian Games
-
Zverev advances at Cincinnati while Williams sisters fall
-
Make it rain: Indonesia chases clouds to stem El Nino fires
-
Copper powers profit rise at mining giant BHP
-
All aboard as Asian Games preparations enter 'final stages'
-
Whales spark joy in New York but face threats from boat traffic
-
Lights out, crowds gone: Havana waits for what comes next
-
Premier League's new bosses brace for battle
-
How families in Milei's Argentina sank deep into debt
-
Zambia's Hichilema: 'cattle boy' and two-time president
-
Zambia's Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote
-
Elderly far more at risk from rising heat than thought: study
-
Jeanie Buss to fight siblings over sale of 17.8% stake in Lakers: reports
-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
Mexico president vows justice as report says teen raped and murdered
Mexico's president on Friday promised justice to the parents of a teenager whose death triggered a public outcry, after an independent forensic report concluded that she was raped and murdered.
President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador met with the family of 18-year-old Debanhi Escobar, whose body was found last month in a motel water tank 12 days after she disappeared.
"I spoke with them and made a commitment to help clarify what happened and to ensure that there is no impunity," Lopez Obrador said in the northern city of Monterrey, where the incident happened.
They are "very good people, a teacher, his wife, and as parents they are very hurt, broken," he told reporters.
Escobar's death is now being investigated as femicide, after originally being registered as a disappearance, Deputy Security Minister Ricardo Mejia said.
The forensic report commissioned by the family concluded that the law student suffered "a violent homicidal death," and her body showed signs of a sexual violence, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais, which obtained the document.
Escobar's family delivered the document to the state prosecutor's office on May 2, the daily reported.
The official autopsy report, which has not been published, did not mention signs of sexual violence, according to El Pais.
Previously, prosecutors said that Escobar died of a blow to the head and that they were not ruling anything out, including an accident or murder.
An eerie photo taken on the night that Escobar disappeared showing her standing in the dark by the roadside after an altercation with a taxi driver went viral.
She quickly became a symbol for an angry women's rights movement in a country where around 10 women are murdered every day.
The attorney general's office in the northern state of Nuevo Leon, whose capital is Monterrey, dismissed two public prosecutors for "errors" and "omissions" in the case.
Theories about the teenager's fate have spread on social networks and in some media, encouraged by videos released or leaked by prosecutors.
Her father Mario Escobar said in video posted late Thursday that if the prosecutor's office was behind the leak of the forensic report to the media, then its heads should resign.
In 2021 alone, Mexico registered 3,751 murders of women, most of which are still unpunished.
V.Said--SF-PST