-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
-
Tribal Partners with ServiceNow to Empower Enterprise Teams to Build and Deploy Apps & Agents
-
Borderless.xyz Deepens Africa Coverage as CrissCross Goes Live on Its Network
-
Fusion Markets Extends Negative Balance Protection to Clients Globally
-
Pakistan court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
India close on victory in first Test against Sri Lanka
-
'Lonely place': Black UK academics slam racism after Arday's death
-
Three lightly injured as new quake hits Spain's Granada
-
UK PM says not embarrassed by hoax messages with fake Trump aide
-
Syria, US say Israel struck military air base in Idlib province
-
West Bank siege exposes Israel army inaction on settler violence
-
France probes Russian disinfo campaign against centrist candidates
-
Four-time champion Roglic to ride Vuelta after training crash
-
Stocks mostly drop as Mideast hopes dim, interest rates rise
-
Ukrainian convicted in Germany over Russian sabotage plot
-
Bayern's Musiala returns to training after on-field collapse
-
Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
-
China's Baidu, betting on AI, posts fifth straight quarterly revenue drop
-
Kane confirms Bayern extension talks set to start
-
German farmers warn of drought toll on grain harvest
-
Asian allies stress 'critical' US cooperation as Trump slashes Korea drills
-
Pant fastest to 100 sixes as India set Sri Lanka 372 to win first Test
-
Pakistan Supreme Court orders ex-PM Khan moved from jail to hospital
-
Russia rebukes Japan ambassador over disputed islands row
-
Firefighters push to 'encircle' Belgian wildfire
Wimbledon ban on Russian and Belarusian players 'unfair': Nadal
Rafael Nadal deemed Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players from taking part in the Championships as "unfair", the Spanish tennis legend told reporters in Madrid on Sunday.
The 21-time major winner believes the All England Club chose "the most drastic option", and hopes the tours can find a way to interfere with the ban.
Wimbledon has been heavily criticised by both the ATP and WTA as well as players like Nadal's great rival Novak Djokovic for implementing the ban due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Belarus is deemed an ally of Russia's and permitted Russian troops to invade Ukraine from across their border.
The ban rules out a swathe of talented players including men's world number two Daniil Medvedev and last year's Wimbledon semi-finalist Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus.
"It's unfair for my Russian colleagues," said Nadal.
"In that sense it's not their fault what's happening in this moment with the war.
"I'm sorry for them. I wish it was not this way, but at the end of the day we know that this is what we have."
Nadal, who is returning to competitive play after a six week hiatus due to a rib injury, said it may fall upon him and his fellow players to take a stand.
"As a fellow player, what can I say? I feel sorry for them," said the 35-year-old two-time Wimbledon champion.
"I wish this was not the case.
“Let's see what happens in the coming weeks and let's see if we as players need to take a stand.
"There is something wrong."
Nadal criticised Wimbledon for going beyond their remit.
"When a government orders something, you need to follow the rules," he said.
"In this case, the government issued a recommendation and Wimbledon decided to impose the most drastic option without being forced to do so."
The Grand Slams are independent of the ATP and WTA but the tours grant them ranking points, which could be withheld if an agreement is not reached on the matter.
"We know that Slams are outside the ATP, but as ATP we grant them the most points of all events," said Nadal.
"They are the most important. The 2,000 points, whenever we go to the Grand Slams, they are really important and we have to go to those tournaments."
"So we will have to see the measures that we take, and it's very unfair thing for them, for sure."
Nadal said obviously in the greater scheme of things tennis was secondary to the daily misery being experienced by the Ukrainians.
"At the end of the day, what happens in our game doesn't have any importance when we can see so many people dying and suffering and seeing the bad situation they are having in Ukraine," he said.
"It is very serious."
Nadal is seeded number three in Madrid and opens his campaign against the winner of the first round clash between Alexander Bublik and Miomir Kecmanovic.
H.Darwish--SF-PST