-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
Nazi camp memorial says Russian officials unwelcome at ceremony
The memorial at the former Nazi concentration camp Buchenwald said Tuesday that "official representatives" of Russia and Belarus were not invited to ceremonies marking the 77th anniversary of its liberation next month.
The war in Ukraine is overshadowing the commemoration, "in particular the violent death of Boris Romantschenko", a camp survivor who was killed by Russian shelling that struck his flat in the city of Kharkiv, the Buchenwald and Mittelbau-Dora Memorials Foundation said.
"Official representatives of Russia and Belarus are not welcome at the ceremonies this year," the Foundation said in a statement, adding that the two countries' embassies in Berlin had been informed of the decision.
It said that the ceremony on April 10 would pay special tribute to Romantschenko, a prisoner of four different Nazi camps during World War II who was killed at his home on March 18.
Romantschenko, who died aged 96, worked for decades to educate others about the horrors of the Nazi era and had been vice president of the Buchenwald-Dora International Committee survivors group.
At the Buchenwald liberation anniversary ceremony in 2015, he had called for a struggle to create a "world of peace and freedom".
The Foundation said that rather than including officials from Russia or Belarus, it would invite representatives of Ukrainian and Russian "civil society" to pay tribute to camp victims from the former Soviet Union.
Fifteen survivors from Germany, Canada, France, Israel, Poland, Romania, Switzerland, Hungary and the United States are also expected to attend the event, cancelled the last two years due to the pandemic.
- Food donations -
The Foundation noted that 30 German remembrance groups had founded an aid network to assist survivors of Nazi persecution in Ukraine, given that many were in "existential danger" in the face of the Russian invasion.
It plans to deliver donations of food and medicine and offer practical help to survivors fleeing Ukraine by picking them up from the Ukrainian border or finding them accommodation in Germany.
There are still some 42,000 survivors of Nazi crimes living in Ukraine, according to the aid network.
More than 76,000 men, women and children died at Buchenwald and the Mittelbau-Dora satellite camp during World War II. They were either killed by the Nazis or perished through illness, cold or starvation.
Thousands of Jews were among the dead, but also Roma and Sinti, and political opponents of the Nazis, gays and Soviet prisoners of war.
US forces liberated the camp in 1945.
I.Yassin--SF-PST