-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
Support for Macron shown rising amid Ukraine war crisis
A new poll Friday showed a surge in support for French President Emmanuel Macron ahead of presidential elections next month, a day after he confirmed he was running for a second term.
The survey measuring voting intentions from the BVA polling group found he had gained a massive five points in the last fortnight ahead of the first round of voting on April 10, with voters seemingly impressed by his handling of the Ukraine war crisis.
It suggested Macron would finish first with 29 percent in the first round and would then triumph in a second run-off vote irrespective of his opponent, with far-right candidate Marine Le Pen seen as his closest challenger.
"Emmanuel Macron is benefiting from his triple status as head of state, protector of the people and their values, (and) head of the army and national diplomacy," BVA said in a statement.
Macron confirmed his plans to seek a second term on Thurday evening in a low-key letter addressed to voters, saying he was seeking their "trust" for another five years "to defend our values that are threatened by the disruptions of the world."
He acknowledged that the election campaign would be overshadowed by Russia's war on its neighbour, which has seen him take a prominent role in Western efforts to find a diplomatic solution.
"Of course, I will not be able to campaign as I would have liked because of the context," he said.
Some of his opponents welcomed the declaration, less than 24 hours before a deadline to do so, while others scoffed at it.
"The democratic debate, of one programme versus another that I have been calling for for months, can finally take place," Socialist Party candidate Anne Hidalgo said.
"We might have expected a letter of apology beforehand," Manuel Bompard, the campaign manager of hard-left candidate Jean-Luc Melenchon, said.
Far-right candidate Eric Zemmour accused him of serving "a term for nothing", adding that "our country has become unlivable and you have become the cause."
- Domestic issues -
A host of recent polling figures have shown a rise in Macron's personal ratings over the last fortnight and a slim majority of French people approve of his handling of the Ukraine crisis.
A poll on Thursday by the Kantar group showed the proportion of voters expressing confidence in him had risen five points to 45 percent, its highest level since August 2017.
The war has also served to weaken some of his opponents such as Le Pen, Zemmour and Melenchon who have all either defended Russian leader Vladimir Putin in the past or promoted their proximity with him.
Antoine Bristielle, a public opinion expert at the Jean-Jaures Foundation, a Paris think-tank, said the Ukraine crisis meant the campaign was focused on "international issues which are an area of strength for Emmanuel Macron.
"It's better for him than social issues or questions around household income," he said.
But many observers are now beginning to fear that the war will eclipse discussion of domestic issues which voters are known to be concerned about, such as crime, unemployment or immigration.
Little is known about the 44-year-old head of state's programme for the next five years, but he promised more tax cuts in his declaration letter, changes to the education system and a further strengthening of the European Union.
"The main risk for Macron is being re-elected relatively easily but without a proper campaign," Bristielle said.
"If the debate is not settled in the ballot box, then it gets settled on the streets."
After his election in 2017, Macron claimed he had a strong mandate to push through major tax and labour market reforms, but opponents openly questioned his legitimacy because of low turn-out and his slim victory margin in the first round.
After a year and half of relatively minor protests, Macron faced a national revolt by so-called "Yellow Vest" protesters in late 2018 who occupied roundabouts across the country and organised often violent demonstrations in the capital and other cities.
Some pollsters predict that abstention rates, which hit a record in 2017, could be even higher in this year's vote on April 10 and 24.
V.Said--SF-PST