-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
-
Paul Pogba to be released by Monaco: club
-
UK PM unveils plan to help rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Texas Counseling Center Highlights the Role of Counseling in Supporting Immigration Psychological Evaluations
-
Tokyo opposes US sanctions on Japanese ICC chief Akane
-
Pakistan govt to challenge court on moving ex-PM Khan to private hospital
-
Humanoid-maker Unitree surges more than 600% on Shanghai debut
-
India four wickets away from victory in Sri Lanka Test
-
Bowling great Donald warns Bangladesh that Australia will hit back hard
-
Belgian wildfire 'encircled' but situation still 'complicated'
-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
Russia to appeal to sports court against World Cup ban
The Russian football federation (RFU) said on Thursday that it will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against its expulsion from the 2022 World Cup and all international competitions.
Russia was due to face Poland on March 24 in a World Cup play-off. But on February 28, FIFA and UEFA banned the country from all competitions in response to the invasion of Ukraine.
In a statement in Russian, the RFU said it planned to launch a single lawsuit against the global and European governing bodies to "demand the restoration of all men's and women's national teams of Russia for all types of football."
It added that it planned to seek "compensation for damage."
On Monday, FIFA and UEFA announced the expulsion of Russia from all international football.
"FIFA and UEFA have today decided together that all Russian teams, whether national representative teams or club teams, shall be suspended from participation in both FIFA and UEFA competitions until further notice," read a joint statement.
The RFU responded on Monday by denouncing the suspension as "discriminatory".
The RFU statement complained that they had been unfairly treated, saying it believed "FIFA and UEFA did not have a legal basis when deciding on the suspension of Russian teams. It violated the fundamental rights of the RFU as a member of FIFA and UEFA, including the right to take part in competitions."
"The Russian Football Union was also not granted the right to present its position, which violated the fundamental right to defence."
It said "FIFA and UEFA did not take into account other possible options".
The RFU said it "will insist on an accelerated procedure for considering the case."
Russia were scheduled to play Poland in a qualifying play-off semi-final on March 24, and might have faced Sweden or the Czech Republic on March 29 for a place in the World Cup finals in Qatar later this year.
FIFA originally announced that Russian teams would be allowed to continue under the name of the Football Union of Russia, playing home games on neutral territory and behind closed doors, and with the Russian flag and anthem banned.
Those measures were dismissed as "totally unacceptable" by Polish FA president Cezary Kulesza, who added that Poland would not play against Russia, "no matter what the name of the team is."
The Swedes and Czechs also said they would not face the Russian team.
The RFU questioned their motives.
"The decision to withdraw the national team from qualification for the 2022 World Cup was made under pressure from direct rivals in the play-offs, which violated the sporting principle and the rules of fair play."
Russia were supposed to play the Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland in their group at the women's European championships in England in July.
J.AbuShaban--SF-PST