-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
-
England bowl against Pakistan in first Test of post-Bazball era
-
ICC says US sanctions 'flagrant attack' on court independence
-
Villa sign Japanese 'keeper Suzuki, Italian defender Ruggeri
-
Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after failing test for cocaine
-
Injury-plagued Pogba released by Monaco
-
Europe can't afford to miss AI revolution: ECB chief
-
Japanese 'keeper Suzuki signs for Aston Villa
-
Suthar shines as India crush Sri Lanka in 600th Test
Cancelling Russian Grand Prix made no sense, says Ecclestone
The decision to cancel the Russian Grand Prix due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine "does not make sense", former Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone told AFP on Wednesday.
The race scheduled for September 25 in Sochi -- the final year the city was due to host the race before it moves to Saint Petersburg -- was cancelled by Formula One last Friday.
Ecclestone, who over several decades transformed the sport into a global multi-billion-dollar commercial giant, said he did not understand how the FIA reached its decision.
Ecclestone was pivotal to F1 heading to Russia, with the Black Sea resort of Sochi first hosting the race in 2014.
"It does not make sense whichever way you look at," he told AFP by phone. "There is no war in Russia to my knowledge so if it took place it would make no difference to anybody.
"It would not affect anyone at all.
"This idea of trying to punish Russia this way in a sporting sense is not going to punish (Russian President Vladimir) Putin at all."
Ecclestone, 91, said losing the Russian Grand Prix for this year was just a gesture and one that will do nothing to change Putin's mind.
"The race would not matter to him (Putin) or affect him adversely," said Ecclestone.
"What is he going to do, stop the invasion?
"It is all ridiculous, all these things they keep threatening to do. 'Oh we must do something to help' but they don't do anything but talk, as there is nothing anyone can do."
- 'Make no difference' -
The sporting world has punished Russia heavily since Putin launched the invasion last Thursday.
Saint Petersburg lost the right to host European club football's showpiece Champions League final and the men's Volleyball World Championships has also been taken away from Russia.
Russia has also been expelled from the 2022 World Cup -- they were in the qualifying play-offs -- and its athletes are also facing being frozen out of other major events taking place this year.
The country's figure skaters, who won six medals at the Beijing Winter Olympics including two gold, cannot compete in the world championships in Montpellier, France, scheduled for March 21-27.
Similarly, their track and field athletes, including those who compete as Authorised Neutral Athletes (ANA), are barred from competing in the indoor athletics world championships (Belgrade, March 18-20) and the outdoor edition later this year (Eugene, Oregon, July 15-24).
Motorsport UK has also moved to stop drivers with Russian licences from competing in the UK, meaning Haas F1's Nikita Mazepin will not be able to take part in July's British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
However, with American team Haas debating whether to retain their Russian sponsor Uralkali, where Mazepin's father Dmitry is a non-executive director, it places a question mark over his future in any case.
Ecclestone, for his part, says the call by the FIA on Tuesday to permit Russian drivers to still compete, albeit under a neutral flag, was the right one.
Other sports like tennis and swimming have taken the same line. The Russian Paralympic team also got the go-ahead on Wednesday to compete at the Beijing Winter Paralympics under a neutral flag.
"It was absolutely the right decision by the FIA," said Ecclestone.
"However, if Mazepin was not driving it would make no difference to anyone. It certainly is not punishing Putin by stopping him."
Ecclestone was also far from certain Motorsport UK could prevent Mazepin from competing at Silverstone.
"If he is contracted to the Haas team when the British Grand Prix takes place he can drive."
E.Aziz--SF-PST