-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
Sudanese protester killed as thousands march against coup
A Sudanese protester was shot dead Monday, medics said, during the latest march by thousands who continue to oppose a military coup which took place four months ago.
The latest death -- despite international appeals for an end to the violence -- takes the total number of people killed to at least 84 in a crackdown since General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan led an October 25 military takeover, according to independent medics.
"Tear gas canisters will not stop us!" said Taqwa Mohammed, a demonstrator near Khartoum's presidential palace, where the ruling Sovereign Council is based along the Nile River.
Around him, the bangs of stun grenades rang out, as volleys of tear gas canisters fell into the crowds, hissing out acrid clouds of red, green or yellow smoke.
"Down with Burhan!" the crowd chanted.
Some protesters hurled rocks at the soldiers, while others kicked back or picked up the hissing tear gas canisters.
Thousands also demonstrated in other cities.
"We are ready to die for our cause," said Anouar Bashir, another protester in Khartoum.
"The world must see the violence of the putschists."
The protester killed Monday was shot in the head in Khartoum's twin city of Omdurman, according to the Sudanese Doctors' Committee. The shooting happened as thousands of demonstrators tried to cross the bridge across the Nile linking the city to Khartoum.
- 'Power to the people' -
More than 2,000 protesters have been injured since October, medics say, while the UN has said at least 13 protesters were raped.
Last week, United Nations rights expert Adama Dieng, during a mission to Sudan, expressed concern "about the violations (committed by) the authorities and the use of live ammunition against protesters."
Both the UN and the United States have made similar appeals before, with Washington threatening further "consequences" if violence continues. The coup, Sudan's latest, has already led to suspension of international aid.
Sudanese authorities have said they arrested several police and soldiers who fired at demonstrators with Kalashnikov rifles, disobeying orders.
Earlier this month, Human Rights Watch quoted witnesses detailing how the security forces have used both "live ammunition" and fired tear gas canisters "directly" at crowds, a tactic that can be deadly at close quarters.
The coup derailed a fragile power-sharing arrangement between the army and civilians negotiated after the 2019 ouster of longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir.
In Wad Madani, about 200 kilometres (125 miles) south of Khartoum, around 4,000 demonstrators took to the streets on Monday.
"Power to the people", they chanted, witnesses said. "Soldiers, go back to the barracks!"
In the eastern city of Gedaref, around 2,000 people rallied against the military, after calls to protest were made by the "resistance committees", neighbourhood groups of activists organising opposition to coup.
While people took to the streets, the UN mission in Khartoum released a report following five weeks of meetings with military chiefs, political leaders and civil society representatives, an initiative it hopes will "address the current political impasse and develop a path towards democracy and peace".
The UN mission said it "remains committed to supporting a civilian-led democratic government as the ultimate objective of the transitional period in Sudan," a statement said.
Anti-coup protesters who regularly take to the streets -- sometimes in the tens of thousands -- reject partnership with the military.
F.AbuZaid--SF-PST