-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
Taliban say no more evacuations until life improves for Afghans abroad
The Taliban will not allow any more Afghans to be evacuated until the situation improves abroad for those who have already left, their spokesman said Sunday.
Families wanting to leave in future would also need a good excuse for doing so, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told a news conference, adding a promise to allow anyone to go abroad was not "continuous".
More than 120,000 Afghans and dual nationals were evacuated up to August 31 when the last US-led troops withdrew, two weeks after the hardline Islamists seized Kabul.
Hundreds more were allowed to leave on flights after that, but the last official evacuation by air was on December 1.
Mujahid said the Taliban had received reports of thousands of Afghans "living in very bad conditions" in Qatar and Turkey.
"The government has the responsibility to protect the people so this will be stopped until we get the assurance that their lives will not be endangered," he said.
He was responding to a question about reports circulating on social media that border officials had been told not to allow anyone to be evacuated -- including by road.
After seizing power the Taliban promised Afghans would be allowed to come and go as they pleased -- as long as they had passports and visas for their destinations.
But they also allowed thousands of people without travel documents to leave -- mostly families with individuals who worked for US-led forces, embassies or other Western organisations over the last 20 years.
Thousands of people with similar links are still in Afghanistan, however, desperate to leave and fearful they may be targeted by the Taliban as "collaborators".
Widespread retaliations have so far not been reliably reported, but the United Nations says more than 100 people with links to the former Western-backed regime have been killed by the Taliban.
Mujahid said the Taliban never promised to allow evacuations to run indefinitely.
"Initially we had said that the Americans... could take people whom they had any concerns about," he said.
"But this is not a continuous promise."
He said families who did not have "an excuse" to leave the country, would not be allowed to do so.
Mujahid also said women would be barred from travelling abroad unless accompanied by a male chaperone.
"This is the order of Islamic sharia law," he said, adding officials were examining ways to make sure this didn't affect women who may have scholarships to study abroad.
- Restrictions introduced -
Women are already banned from travelling between cities and towns unless with a close male relative.
After seizing power the Taliban promised a softer version of the harsh interpretation of Islamic rule that characterised their rule from 1996-2001.
But restrictions have slowly been introduced -- if not by national edict, then implemented on the whim of local officials.
Even Afghans without links to the former regime are scrambling to leave the country, which has plunged into economic crisis since the Taliban takeover.
Thousands of people daily try to cross into neighbouring Iran in search of work, or in a bid to reach European Union nations and the hope of asylum.
The United States has seized $7 billion in Afghan assets held abroad -- reserving half for humanitarian aid that bypasses the Taliban, and half for a fund to compensate families of those who died in the September 11, 2001 attacks.
G.AbuOdeh--SF-PST