-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
-
Bayern's Hoeness 'speechless' after second Musiala collapse
-
Robots sort packages and serve fast food at Beijing showcase
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah: source
-
Leeds sign Swiss defender Elvedi from Monchengladbach
-
Arsenal chief expects Arteta to sign new contract 'very shortly'
-
Robinson double rocks Pakistan in first Test before rain stops play
-
Oil rises, stocks waver amid tech sell-off
-
Queen Camilla says was 'difficult' keeping King Charles' cancer private
-
Belgian fire of the century 'encircled' but fight goes on
-
UK PM launches bid to get rough sleepers off streets by Christmas
-
Japan target record medal haul at home Asian Games
Russia given cold shoulder by sports world due to invasion of Ukraine
Russia was on Saturday furthered targeted by the sporting world due to the invasion of Ukraine as both Poland and Sweden said they would not play the Russian team in 2022 World Cup play-offs while the Swedish Government demanded a blanket European Union sporting ban on the country.
Saturday saw the third day of hostilities since Russian leader Vladimir Putin unleashed a full-scale invasion that has killed dozens of people, forced more than 50,000 to flee Ukraine in just 48 hours and sparked fears of a wider conflict in Europe.
"The time for talking is over. It is time to act. Due to the escalation of the Russian Federation's aggression in Ukraine, the Polish team does not envisage playing the play-off against Russia," wrote Polish football federation president Cezary Kulesza.
His Swedish counterpart followed suit later on Saturday.
"Whatever FIFA decide, we will not play against Russia in March," said federation president Karl-Erik Nilsson.
Poland are scheduled to play in Moscow on March 24 while the Swedes would be away to Russia were both to win their play-offs. The Swedes first face the Czech Republic.
The three federations issued a joint statement on Thursday demanding FIFA move the respective play-offs from Russia -- who only four years ago hosted the World Cup finals.
Polish captain Robert Lewandowski welcomed his federation's move.
"The right decision!" tweeted Bayern Munich's star striker.
"I cannot imagine playing a match with the Russian national team in a situation when armed aggression in Ukraine continues.
"Russian footballers and fans are not responsible for this, but we cannot pretend that nothing is happening."
International team-mate, Juventus goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny -- whose wife is Ukrainian -- demanded UEFA and FIFA "hold Russian Federation accountable for their actions."
"My wife was born in Ukraine, there is Ukrainian blood running through the veins of my son, part of our family is still in Ukraine," he wrote on Instagram.
"Seeing the suffering on their faces and fear for their country makes me realise I can't stand still and pretend that nothing has happened.
"The moment Putin decided to invade Ukraine he declared war not only on Ukraine but also on all the values Europe stands for. Liberty, Independence but most of all Peace."
- 'Totally against war' -
FIFA did not react to the latest Polish move on Saturday when approached by AFP.
The Swedish Government said they were going to try and persuade the other 27 European Union states to impose a blanket sporting ban on Russia for "as long as the invasion of Ukraine lasts".
"The most important thing is that the Russian aggression ceases," said Swedish Sports Minister Anders Ygeman in a statement.
"If the EU decides on a sporting boycott, that will help achieve this target."
The Swedes are proposing a boycott of all competitions being hosted in Russia and further that no Russian athlete can compete in the European Union.
European football's governing body UEFA are believed also to be considering whether to terminate the reported 40 million euros a year sponsorship contract with Russian gas giant Gazprom.
A source told AFP that they would take a decision next week whilst The Times and The Daily Telegraph said the executive committee had instructed their lawyers to launch the process in terminating a relationship that dates back to 2012.
UEFA had already on Friday punished Russia by stripping Saint Petersburg of hosting European club football's showpiece event the Champions League final on May 28 -- at the Gazprom Arena -- and awarded it to Paris.
The International Biathlon Union (IBU) also took action following Friday's call by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for sports federations to bar the respective national flags of Russia and Belarus being flown at sports events.
"No Russian or Belarusian flags, symbols or national emblems can be displayed at the venue," said the IBU in a statement.
"Instead of the countries' flags, the IBU flag shall be displayed."
Russian and Belarus athletes will still be permitted to compete in the remaining three events but as neutral competitors.
However, Estonia, who host the penultimate event at Otepaeae from March 10-13, have barred Russian and Belarus biathles entering the country.
D.Khalil--SF-PST