-
Bolivia protest sees violent clashes, looting in La Paz
-
Trump says held off on new Iran attack, upbeat for agreement
-
Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees
-
Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, two attackers dead
-
US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected
-
Aussie Scott officially set for 100th straight major at US Open
-
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at end of the season - reports
-
Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup
-
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
-
Oil rises, global stocks mixed as markets track Iran developments
-
World Cup winner Pavard confirms Marseille exit
-
Trump says holding off on new Iran attack
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks; Washington adds sanctions
-
Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leaders
-
Cuba warns of 'bloodbath' if US attacks and Washington issues sanctions
-
After mayor's murder, Mexico battles to bring peace
-
Trump admin creates $1.7 bln fund to compensate allies prosecuted under Biden
-
Pelicans name Mosley as coach, two weeks after Magic firing
-
Hyderabad qualify for IPL play-offs along with Gujarat
-
'Girl in the River Main' identified 25 years on, father arrested
-
Musk loses blockbuster OpenAI suit as jury says too late
-
SNC Scandic Coin and Biconomy: Regulated real-world assets meet global trading infrastructure
-
Judge allows gun as evidence in Mangione healthcare exec murder trial
-
First attack on Arab nuclear site sends warning to Gulf, US
-
Oil rises, bond yields weigh on stocks
-
Hormuz tanker traffic edges higher after wartime low
-
Andalusia setback highlights weakness of Spain's ruling Socialists
-
India's Adani to pay $275 mn settlement to US over alleged Iran sanctions violations
-
Middle East tourism pain is Europe's gain
-
UK Labour leadership hopeful reopens Brexit debate
-
PSG's Dembele has treatment for leg issue before Champions League final
-
Spurs must play with 'courage' to seal safety: De Zerbi
-
Hantavirus-hit cruise ship ends deadly voyage
-
Champagne start in Reims for 2028 Tour de France
-
Dogs allowed on new Brigitte Bardot beach in glitzy Cannes
-
Oil prices dip on report of US sanctions relief for Iran during talks
-
Croatia names Modric-led World Cup squad
-
Iran World Cup squad lands in south Turkey for training
-
Mushfiqur ton leaves Pakistan needing record run chase to beat Bangladesh
-
Transport protests hit Kenya over rising fuel prices
-
Ex-Google exec takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
France unveils architects to transform Louvre
-
'Mesmeric' movie on secret lives of Nigeria's rich wows Cannes
-
Ex-Google man takes reins at under-fire BBC
-
Swatch blames shopping centres for 'problems' with star product launch
-
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid at end of season
-
Stocks drop, oil climbs after fresh Trump warning to Iran
-
Blockbuster 'Hope' shows S.Korea's growing movie muscle
-
Twins wow Cannes with 'mesmeric' tale of Nigeria's rich
-
New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo: What we know
Ailing Bolsonaro says he will 'probably' need surgery
Brazil's ex-president Jair Bolsonaro said Saturday that he will "probably" need surgery, after being hospitalized a day earlier in the northeastern city of Natal with what he called "unbearable" abdominal pain.
The far-right former leader said on X that he would "probably be operated on again" after being transferred to a hospital in Brasilia.
A source at the private Rio Grande Hospital in Natal said Bolsonaro would probably be transferred by plane late Saturday.
The former leader has undergone multiple surgeries since being the victim of a vicious knife attack during his 2018 campaign for the presidency, but he said Saturday on X that doctors told him his latest painful incident was "the most serious" since then.
Rogerio Marinho, a senator in Bolsonaro's far-right Liberal Party, had been accompanying Bolsonaro on a multi-city tour in Rio Grande do Norte state when the trip was cut short after the 70-year-old ex-president complained of "unbearable pain" caused by a bowel obstruction.
He was first taken to a local hospital where he was "stabilized," then flown by helicopter to the larger Rio Grande facility in Natal, the state capital.
Bolsonaro lost some 40 percent of his blood in the 2018 attack. The assailant was later declared mentally unfit to stand trial.
The former army captain was elected president just weeks after the attack but the stabbing has taken a lasting toll, leading to repeated hospitalizations and surgeries.
His latest setback occurred two weeks after the country's Supreme Court ruled that he should face trial on charges of plotting a coup after he lost the presidency to Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in the 2022 election.
In Natal, a surgeon at the private Rio Grande Hospital initially said on Friday that no surgery was planned, as the ex-president had seen improvement.
"Thank God, my condition is stable and I am recovering, without fever," Bolsonaro wrote on X, adding that "the cause was a complication in the small intestine, a consequence of the multiple surgeries I needed to undergo after the attack in 2018."
Marinho said the transfer to Brasilia would allow the former president to be treated by a medical team that has "followed him for years."
Bolsonaro has been declared ineligible to run for office until 2030 for baselessly questioning the reliability of Brazil's electronic voting system.
But he has clung to hopes that the judgment might be overturned or the sentence reduced in time to allow him to stand in next year's elections.
Z.AbuSaud--SF-PST