-
Guardiola silent on Man City exit reports
-
Argentine researchers collect rodents for hantavirus tests
-
Iran talks making 'good progress': US VP Vance
-
Teen wonder Sooryavanshi's slams 93 to edge Rajasthan closer to IPL play-offs
-
Norway reports Europe's first case of bird flu in a polar bear
-
Italy's Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
EU vows help for farmers hit by Iran war fertiliser price hikes
-
Emery focused on Villa glory, not crown of Europa League 'king'
-
French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition
-
US, Iran trade threats but Trump says Tehran wants peace deal
-
Russia's Zvyagintsev sets film amid 'disaster' Ukraine war
-
UK trade minister hopes Britain will rejoin EU 'in my lifetime'
-
Race to find vaccines, treatments for Ebola strain behind outbreak
-
King Charles III bangs drum for Irish music, eyes hip-hop lesson
-
Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
Drone attack kills 28 at market in southern Sudan
-
Putin lands in China for trip that aims to show unshakeable ties after Trump pomp
-
Israel finance minister says ICC seeks arrest warrant against him
-
Kentucky primary vote tests Trump's grip on Republican base
-
Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon with wrist injury
-
Indie game plunges players into sci-fi epic 'Battlestar Galactica'
-
Trump shows off site of new $400-mn ballroom
-
Israeli troops in Iraq: what do we know?
-
Iran warns against new US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
India rest Bumrah for one-off Test against Afghanistan
-
G7 finance ministers vow cooperation to face 'heightened risks'
-
Ghana, Ivory Coast to clash in 2027 AFCON qualifying
-
King Charles III makes unannounced visit to N. Ireland
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughters killed by Russia
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughers killed by Russia
-
Power of Siberia 2: The giant gas pipeline Russia wants to build to China
-
Taijul puts Bangladesh on brink of Test series win over Pakistan
-
Iran warns against renewed US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
France says G7 finance talks 'frank, sometimes difficult'
-
England sweat on skipper Sciver-Brunt's fitness before T20 Women's World Cup
-
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
-
Stocks rise, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
Pakistan court sentences man to death for killing teen influencer
-
Nicaragua's exiled Sergio Ramirez: Autocrats 'don't care' about novels
-
Robertson and McGinn in Scotland squad bidding for World Cup breakthrough
-
Spanish ex-PM Zapatero under investigation for influence peddling
-
Pep Guardiola: Catalan genius who changed football
-
Long-running conflicts muddy DR Congo Ebola response
-
Bayeux Tapestry to be shown flat for first time in London exhibit
-
Albania appoint coach Rolando Maran as Sylvinho's successor
-
Germany starts sale of bailed-out energy firm Uniper
-
Iran civilians learn assault rifle basics to fend off US
-
Beijing says China, US should work together to promote AI governance
-
Mango founder's son arrested in Spain over father's death
Gaza talks set to resume in Cairo as fighting rages
Negotiators geared up for a crucial weekend of Gaza ceasefire talks Saturday, as Hamas said it was sending delegates to Cairo but would not participate in the discussions, and fighting raged in the Palestinian territory.
The United States, Egypt and Qatar have spent months trying to broker an end to the war in Gaza between Hamas Palestinian militants and Israel.
The war, sparked by Hamas's unprecedented October 7 attack on Israel, has devastated Gaza, displaced nearly all of its population at least once and triggered a humanitarian crisis.
The White House said progress had been made at the latest round this week, although the possible permanent presence of Israeli troops along the Gaza-Egypt border has emerged as a major sticking point.
Previous bouts of optimism during months of on-off ceasefire and hostage release negotiations have always proven unfounded.
A senior Hamas official said a delegation from the Islamist group was heading to Cairo, but that they would not engage in the talks. Instead, they would meet with senior Egyptian officials for updates on the negotiations.
The delegation would "be briefed... but this does not mean it will take part in the negotiations", the official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The official said Hamas would insist Israel withdraw all its forces from all of Gaza, including "from the border area with Egypt", known as the Philadelphi Corridor.
- 'Pivotal step' -
The basis of the talks is a framework which US President Joe Biden outlined on May 31, and which he described as an Israeli proposal.
A second Hamas official on Saturday reiterated that "the leadership of Hamas, including its leader Yahya Sinwar" had already agreed to the Biden plan and want it put into effect without "amendment of its wording."
The three-phase plan outlined by Biden and endorsed by the UN Security Council would initially see hostages exchanged for Palestinians in Israeli jails during what Biden called a "full and complete ceasefire" lasting six weeks.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has since insisted on keeping troops along the corridor, arguing Israel needs to prevent Hamas from rebuilding its strength by smuggling in arms from Egypt.
The White House said CIA chief William Burns was among US officials taking part in the Cairo talks, alongside the heads of Israel's spy agency and domestic security service.
An Egyptian source close to the talks said the United States was "discussing with mediators new proposals to bridge the gap between Israel and Hamas".
The source said Sunday's "enlarged round of negotiations" would be a "pivotal step in formulating an agreement that will be announced if Washington can pressure Netanyahu."
Fighting raged in Gaza on Saturday, with AFP correspondents and civil defence rescue sources reporting ongoing Israeli artillery fire and air strikes across the Hamas-run territory.
In Gaza City's Zeitun neighbourhood, gunfire and explosions echoed as Palestinian militants clashed with Israeli soldiers, an AFP correspondent added.
An overnight strike on a house west of Khan Yunis in southern Gaza killed 11 people, including a woman and four children, a doctor at Nasser Hospital said.
Hamas-run Gaza's health ministry on Saturday reported 69 deaths in the previous 48 hours.
The Israeli military said it "eliminated" dozens of militants in close-quarters combat and strikes in the Tal al-Sultan area of Rafah over the past day.
Tens of thousands of civilians were on the move from Deir el-Balah and Khan Yunis after Israeli evacuation orders, which precede military operations, the United Nations said on Thursday.
- Hostage protests -
Hamas's October 7 attack on southern Israel resulted in the deaths of 1,199 people, most of them civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli official figures.
Israel's retaliatory military campaign has killed 40,334 Palestinians in Gaza, according to Gaza's health ministry, which does not give details of civilian and militant deaths.
The UN rights office says most of the dead are women and children.
Palestinian militants also seized 251 hostages, of whom 105 remain in Gaza, including 34 the military says are dead.
Israel's military recovered the remains of six hostages from a tunnel in the Khan Yunis area this week, and said bullets were found in their bodies.
Netanyahu faces regular protests by hostage supporters demanding a deal to bring them home.
Efforts to reach a Gaza truce and avert a wider war intensified after the killings of two senior Iran-backed militants last month sparked threats of reprisals from Tehran and allies including Lebanon's Hezbollah movement, who blamed Israel.
As the threats rise, some Israelis have taken matters into their own hands by building bomb shelters at home, after putting it off for years.
"We now worry more, because Hezbollah can reach us with their missiles," said 79-year-old Jeff Lederer, a family doctor in Tel Mond, north of Tel Aviv. "We are also afraid of being shot at by Iran."
Gazans said they were desperate for an end to the war.
"We are tired and hope that the negotiations persist, the siege is lifted, and the war stops," Umm Muhammad Wadi, a displaced woman in Deir el-Balah, told AFP.
burs-dv/it
A.Suleiman--SF-PST