-
Google wants its search bar to act on your behalf in AI revamp
-
Taiwan author wins International Booker for 'slyly sophisticated' novel
-
Iran 'very confident' about World Cup protocols: federation vice-president
-
Google unveils smart glasses, taking on Meta
-
Guardiola swerves Man City exit talk as title hopes ended
-
Chiefs' Rice jailed for probation violation
-
Five factors in Arsenal's Premier League title triumph
-
Mikel Arteta: Pep protege to Premier League winner
-
How Arsenal banished 'nearly men' tag to end 22-year title wait
-
Arsenal win Premier League after Man City held by Bournemouth
-
From graduation boos to voter unease: AI anxiety grows in the US
-
Lost in Trump's climate boast: best-case scenario abandoned
-
Hantavirus cruise operator says ship not source of outbreak
-
Trump shows off ballroom site with 'drone empire' planned for roof
-
Rubio to attend NATO talks, pay first visit to India
-
Under Trump pressure, EU seeks deal to end trade standoff
-
Airbus seeks to cut peripheral expenses due to Mideast war
-
France encourages women to report rape in probes of star Bruel
-
Guardiola silent on Man City exit reports
-
Argentine researchers collect rodents for hantavirus tests
-
Iran talks making 'good progress': US VP Vance
-
Teen wonder Sooryavanshi's slams 93 to edge Rajasthan closer to IPL play-offs
-
Norway reports Europe's first case of bird flu in a polar bear
-
Italy's Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
EU vows help for farmers hit by Iran war fertiliser price hikes
-
Emery focused on Villa glory, not crown of Europa League 'king'
-
French govt slams 'disproportionate' Canal+ riposte to anti-Bollore petition
-
US, Iran trade threats but Trump says Tehran wants peace deal
-
Russia's Zvyagintsev sets film amid 'disaster' Ukraine war
-
UK trade minister hopes Britain will rejoin EU 'in my lifetime'
-
Race to find vaccines, treatments for Ebola strain behind outbreak
-
King Charles III bangs drum for Irish music, eyes hip-hop lesson
-
Ganna wins time-trial in Giro shake-up
-
Drone attack kills 28 at market in southern Sudan
-
Putin lands in China for trip that aims to show unshakeable ties after Trump pomp
-
Israel finance minister says ICC seeks arrest warrant against him
-
Kentucky primary vote tests Trump's grip on Republican base
-
Alcaraz withdraws from Wimbledon with wrist injury
-
Indie game plunges players into sci-fi epic 'Battlestar Galactica'
-
Trump shows off site of new $400-mn ballroom
-
Israeli troops in Iraq: what do we know?
-
Iran warns against new US attacks as Trump says held off assault
-
Oil dips, stocks mixed after Trump holds off on Iran attack
-
India rest Bumrah for one-off Test against Afghanistan
-
G7 finance ministers vow cooperation to face 'heightened risks'
-
Ghana, Ivory Coast to clash in 2027 AFCON qualifying
-
King Charles III makes unannounced visit to N. Ireland
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughters killed by Russia
-
Ukraine war widow buries her daughers killed by Russia
-
Power of Siberia 2: The giant gas pipeline Russia wants to build to China
Blinken takes Gaza truce push to Egypt
Top US diplomat Antony Blinken was in Egypt on Tuesday for talks on a Gaza ceasefire after saying Israel had accepted a US "bridging proposal" for a deal and urging Hamas to do the same.
Blinken, on his ninth visit to the Middle East since the Palestinian militant group's October 7 attack triggered the war with Israel, flew to El Alamein, the Mediterranean city famous for a World War II battle, and began talks with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi at his summer palace.
Afterwards, he will head to a meeting with Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, in Doha, the scene of ceasefire talks last week.
Both Egypt and Qatar are working alongside the United States to broker a truce in the 10-month Gaza conflict.
Washington put forward the latest proposal last week aimed at after the talks in Doha.
Blinken said Monday he had "a very constructive meeting" with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who "confirmed to me that Israel accepts the bridging proposal".
Ahead of those talks, Hamas called on the mediators to implement the framework set out by US President Joe Biden in late May, rather than hold more negotiations.
The movement said on Sunday that the current US proposal "responds to Netanyahu's conditions".
At the weekend, Hamas political bureau member Sami Abu Zuhri said US optimism about the prospects for the deal was an "illusion".
On Monday, the US secretary of state had said: "This is a decisive moment -- probably the best, maybe the last, opportunity to get the hostages home, to get a ceasefire and to put everyone on a better path to enduring peace and security".
- 'Sense of urgency' -
Israel and Hamas have blamed each other for delays in reaching an accord that diplomats say would help avert a wider conflagration in the Middle East that could draw in Iran and Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Fears of an escalation have mounted since Hezbollah and Iran vowed to respond after an Israeli strike on Beirut last month killed a top Hezbollah commander, Fuad Shukr, shortly before an attack in Tehran blamed on Israel killed Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh.
Hezbollah said it launched rocket salvos at Israeli army positions in the annexed Golan Heights, in the latest of the cross-border exchanges which have raged almost daily since the Gaza war began.
"There is, I think, a real sense of urgency here, across the region, on the need to get this over the finish line and to do it as soon as possible," Blinken said.
The Biden administration is under domestic pressure over Gaza, with pro-Palestinian protests taking place outside the Democratic National Convention in Chicago on Monday.
He acknowledged Hamas objections to the latest draft. "It's still in play, but you can't predict," he said as he prepared to leave Chicago.
"Israel says they can work it out... Hamas is now backing away."
- 'Permanent ceasefire' -
Israeli military operations in Gaza have continued throughout the truce talks.
Gaza's civil defence agency said an Israeli strike hit a school housing displaced Palestinians and killed seven people. The Israeli military said it struck a Hamas command centre.
Medics reported six dead in two separate Israeli air strikes in and around the southern city of Rafah.
Western ally Jordan, hostage supporters who protested in Tel Aviv during Blinken's visit, and Hamas itself have called for pressure on Netanyahu for an agreement to be reached.
Far-right members crucial to the prime minister's governing coalition oppose any truce.
The October 7 attack on southern Israel resulted in the deaths of 1,198 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally of Israeli official figures.
Israel's retaliatory offensive in Gaza has killed at least 40,173 people, according to the territory's health ministry, which does not give details of civilian and militant deaths.
Out of 251 hostages seized during Hamas's attack, 105 are still held in Gaza, including 34 the military says are dead.
The Biden framework would freeze fighting for an initial six weeks while Israeli hostages are exchanged for Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails and humanitarian aid enters Gaza.
Netanyahu said on Monday that negotiators were aiming to "release a maximum number of living hostages" in the first phase of any ceasefire.
- Bodies of six hostages recovered -
The Israeli military said it had retrieved the bodies of six hostages from the southern Gaza district of Khan Yunis in a joint operation with internal security agency Shin Bet.
The hostages were Yagev Buchshtab, Alexander Dancyg, Yoram Metzger, Nadav Popplewell, Chaim Perry, previously announced dead, and Avraham Munder, whose kibbutz of Nir Oz near Gaza announced his death earlier Tuesday.
Campaign group the Hostages and Missing Families Forum called on the government to ensure the remaining hostages are returned to Israel in a negotiated deal.
"The Israeli government, with the assistance of mediators, must do everything in its power to finalise the deal currently on the table," it said.
burs-kir/dv
Q.Bulbul--SF-PST