-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
-
All Blacks replace Tuipulotu with Holland for Springboks Test
-
Germany identifies far-right suspect in deadly 1970 antisemitic attack
-
Rain delays start of second day's play in England-Pakistan opener
-
PrimeXBT Expands Swap-Free Trading to PXTrader 2.0
-
Russian strikes kill 16 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Record number of locations in France top 40C over summer: AFP analysis
-
'It is tough': Indonesia battles wildfires, bracing for worse to come
-
Trump pledges 'economic warfare' on Iran, prompting Tehran derision
-
Seoul detects North Korean missile launches after Trump says to meet Kim
-
'Girl with a Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
-
Thai, Myanmar military chiefs meet as post-coup thaw progresses
-
Russian strikes kill 13 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Asian stocks rally as US Treasury steps in to ease bond fears
-
'Simply lovely': Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030
-
Verstappen signs new Red Bull contract until 2030: team
-
Australia coach Walters heading to St Helens after World Cup
-
What property giant Evergrande's sentence means for China's economy
-
China jails founder, fines disgraced property giant Evergrande
-
Australian prosecutors demand life in prison for mushroom killer
-
Russian strikes kill 12 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Fallout far-reaching for Australian Rules after latest scandal
-
US India ambassador's Kashmir remarks rile Pakistan; envoy summoned
-
Rafts on Rome's Tiber River cool down overheated tourists
-
In Senegal's Saint-Louis, traces of slave-trading past fade away
-
Top seeds Sabalenka, Zverev stunned in Cincinnati fourth round
-
Russian strikes kill 9 in Kyiv, surrounding region
-
Australia says relations with Israel 'difficult' after aid worker death
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death in Miami draw
-
PSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trick
-
Mercedes and Max: What to watch as F1 returns for Dutch GP
-
Arsenal can become world's best club: Arteta
-
'People, not robots': Ukraine's soldiers justify human role amid drone revolution
-
Japan's King Kazu, 59, scores twice from spot to make cup history
-
North Sea drilling tests UK govt climate pledge
-
Kyiv's desperate vendors persevere outside obliterated flea market
-
'Ray of hope': Gaza seed bank rebuilds after wartime destruction
-
Australia races to shield little penguins from H5N1 bird flu
-
Mourinho begins second Real Madrid reign with Barca in his sights
-
Messi scores first goal since father's death
-
'More confrontational': Iran's new hardline security leadership
-
US national debt exceeds $40 trillion for first time
-
UK summons Israeli envoy over West Bank settlement project
21 boys confirmed dead in Kenya school inferno
A total of 21 boys were confirmed dead on Saturday after a blaze tore through a school dormitory in central Kenya, a tragedy that has raised questions about safety standards at educational establishments nationwide.
And after night fell, another fire broke out at a girls' school also in the centre of the country, with conflicting reports about injuries.
Earlier Saturday, the nation's top prosecutor said he had instructed police to look into whether the deadly inferno at the Hillside Endarasha Academy in Nyeri county had been caused by negligence or recklessness.
The flames engulfed a boys' dormitory at the school around midnight on Thursday as more than 150 pupils aged between nine and 13 were sleeping.
Government spokesman Isaac Mwaura said a total of 19 bodies had been recovered from the site and another two had died in hospital.
Of the total 156 boys in the dorm at the time, 139 had now been accounted for, either at home or in hospital, he added.
"It is a catastrophe beyond our imagination," Mwaura said at a press briefing.
The charred bodies of the victims, which police had said were burnt beyond recognition, were found in the dormitory, now a blackened shell with its corrugated iron roof completely collapsed.
Homicide teams and forensic experts stepped up their investigations at the school on Saturday, with DNA tests to be conducted to identify the victims
- 'Serious concerns' about safety -
Chief government pathologist Johansen Oduor said postmortems would begin on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, another fire broke out on Saturday night at Isiolo Girls High School, about 140 kilometres (90 miles) to the northeast.
Isiolo County communications director Hussein Salesa told AFP that two or three buildings had caught fire. "There are some injuries but we cannot confirm the exact figure at the moment."
National police spokeswoman Resila Onyango said in a statement the flames had been contained with help from the army, and that there had been "no injuries" among students and staff.
Director of Public Prosecutions Renson Ingonga has instructed police to investigate what caused the Endarasha fire and "assess whether or not the tragedy may have resulted from negligence and/or recklessness of any responsibility holders", his office said in a statement.
"Any person found culpable towards the fire tragedy shall be expediently taken through the due process of a criminal trial."
The blaze has highlighted the issue of safety at schools in Kenya, after numerous similar disasters over the years.
Kenya's National Gender and Equality Commission said initial reports indicated the dorm was "overcrowded, in violation of safety standards.
"This incident raises serious concerns about children's rights to safety in educational institutions," the NGO Vocal Africa said in a statement on X.
President William Ruto has declared three days of national mourning from Monday after what he described as an "unfathomable tragedy".
He has called for a full investigation into the disaster and vowed that "all relevant persons and bodies will be held to account".
- 'We want our children' -
Pope Francis said he was "deeply saddened" at the loss of young life and expressed his "spiritual closeness to all who are suffering the effects of this calamity, especially the injured and the families who grieve".
Many families had been waiting anxiously for news of their loved ones, with one mother at the school angrily crying: "We don't want the food donations. We want our children."
The Kenya Red Cross was offering psychological counselling sessions to traumatised children and relatives, setting up white tents in fields outside the school gates.
"I cannot begin to imagine what he went through," he told AFP.
"I am happy he is alive but he had some injuries at the back of his head and the smoke had affected his eyes."
Y.Shaath--SF-PST