-
STARPRIME Completes Beta Testing of Market-Maker Model for Retail Brokers
-
Southern African mothers plead for sons lured to Russia's war
-
Campaigns kick off in Nigerian presidential race
-
Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players for drinking, bringing women to hotel
-
Freedom Holding Marks New Türkiye Milestone as Freedom Yatırım Secures Brokerage License
-
Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Humanoid resources: China's robots search for workforce breakthrough
-
Five Premier League stars to watch this season
-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
Migrants come ashore at Italian port as another ship heads to France
More than 200 migrants who have been waiting aboard a rescue ship after Italy refused them entry were allowed to come ashore Tuesday, as another vessel gave up hope and appealed to France for safe harbour.
Nearly 500 migrants have been in limbo after being rescued by three different charity ships last month during their perilous crossing from North Africa to Italy's shores.
But on Tuesday night, one of the ships, the Geo Barents, finally disembarked the more than 200 migrants on board after Italian health authorities gave them the green light.
"My life is back!" shouted one of the migrants in Sicily's eastern port of Catania, according to Doctors Without Borders (MSF), which operates the vessel.
Both the Geo Barents and Humanity 1, run by non-governmental group SOS Humanity, docked at the weekend in Catania, disembarking about 500 of the most vulnerable migrants.
But Italian authorities denied entry to approximately 250 others and told the ships to return to sea with them on board, a directive both groups rejected.
Thirty-three migrants remained on Humanity 1 where a medical screening was underway Tuesday night.
A third ship, the Ocean Viking, said Tuesday it was leaving Sicilian waters and sailing towards France with 234 migrants on board after its appeals to Italy since October 27 to dock had gone unanswered.
"Facing the silence of Italy and the exceptionality of the situation, the Ocean Viking has now escalated her request for a place of safety in France," said the group, run by European charity SOS Mediterranee under a Norwegian flag.
It said the vessel would near Corsica by Thursday.
- Diplomacy test -
The handling of the ships is a first test for Italy's new far-right government of Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, who has vowed to stop the tens of thousands of migrants who land on the country's shores every year.
Meloni thanked France Tuesday night for opening a port to the Ocean Viking, even though no official confirmation from France had been issued.
"We express our heartfelt appreciation for France's decision to share responsibility for the migration emergency, which until now has remained on the shoulders of Italy and a few other Mediterranean states, by opening its ports to the ship Ocean Viking," Meloni said in a statement.
France's interior ministry declined comment. SOS Mediterranee said they had received no confirmation they could dock from French authorities.
Italian news agency AGI, without citing sources, said France had agreed to accept the Ocean Viking at Marseille. Meloni and French President Emmanuel Macron agreed the deal Monday night during the COP27 UN climate summit in Egypt, AGI reported.
- Mounting anxiety -
Earlier Tuesday, a fourth boat -- the Rise Above operated by Germany's Mission Lifeline -- successfully disembarked all its 89 migrants, mostly minors, at the port of Reggio Calabria at the toe of Italy.
Rights groups have challenged an Italian decree that permitted the Geo Barents and Humanity 1 to dock only for the time it took to help emergency migrant cases, calling it illegal.
SOS Mediterranee said the choice of which migrants to allow onto Italian soil was "selective and discriminatory".
Italy's decision to allow the Geo Barents migrants to leave the ship came after rising psychological strain, charity groups said.
On Monday, migrants held an impromptu protest from the stern of the Geo Barents, holding up signs and chanting "Help us"!
Two Syrians jumped into the water and were pulled out, and then spent the night on the dock refusing food and water, MSF said.
Ships chartered by humanitarian organisations regularly pick up migrants from overcrowded boats seeking to cross from North Africa to Europe that are in distress.
But their passengers account for only 14 percent of the more than 87,000 people who have landed in Italy so far this year, the interior ministry says.
Italian Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi said Monday the government is acting "with humanity but firmly based on our principles".
Piantedosi said he was working at a national and European Union level to reduce the burden on Italy after years of complaints from Rome that the bloc was not doing enough.
T.Samara--SF-PST