-
China goes rural with data centres in quest to power AI
-
China's robots open to opportunities in search of commercial breakthrough
-
Trump pauses planned 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for three days
-
Tech leads losses as Asian stocks track Wall St selloff
-
Ikitau, Suaalii named in Australia squad for Argentina Tests
-
US, South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
-
'American Doctor' shows brutality of conflict in Gaza
-
Italian scientists bet on octopus to fight crab invasion
-
New Zealand blocks lawsuits against firms over climate harm
-
New 'Insidious' reflects anxiety of being a new parent: director
-
Aussie Rules club suspends five players amid police probe
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to advance at Cincinnati
-
No.1 Sabalenka slams Wang to power ahead in Cincinnati
-
Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base
-
Israel blames Turkey after strike on Syria air base
-
Climate change main driver of European ocean warming: study
-
Trump, Carney talk as Canada seeks to hold off new US tariffs
-
Gauff finds a way into the Cincinnati fourth round
-
NASA images reveal crater left by SpaceX rocket's Moon crash
-
ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at age 77
-
UN atomic watchdog says found tons of nuclear material at Syria site
-
Bayern's Musiala reveals 'neurological disorder' after on-field collapse
-
Ecuadoran diplomat enters race to be next UN chief
-
Angelique Kidjo immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
US sanctions ICC chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
France to expel two Iranian diplomats: foreign minister
-
US moves to open vast tracts of pristine forests to logging
-
Spain's Granada closes iconic Alhambra as new quake hits
-
US sanctions International Criminal Court chief Tomoko Akane of Japan
-
Venus, Stephens, Monfils named among US Open wild cards
-
Meta hooked children and misled public: prosecutors
-
Rodri joins La Liga champions Barcelona from Manchester City
-
France's first women's rights minister Yvette Roudy dies, aged 97
-
Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threat to broadcast licenses
-
French producer Nicolas Altmayer, Dior PR chief Favier die in car crash
-
Trump, Carney hold talks as new US tariffs on Canada loom
-
Bezos consortium bought nearly 40 percent of Liverpool: report
-
Germany opens new drone research centre as security threats mount
-
Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz 'new US territory'
-
How only a few tree species drive Amazon forest recovery
-
Canada seeks to avert new US tariffs as deadline looms
-
Ivonne A-Baki enters race to be next UN chief
-
US primaries test Democrat comeback hopes in Trump stronghold
-
Ukraine says Russian strike kills 10 in northeast region
-
Scientists discover how narwhals grow nature's only straight tusk
-
Meta in court over child social media addiction
-
DR Congo Ebola outbreak 'far from being under control': WHO chief
-
Vieira appointed Senegal head coach after World Cup disappointment
-
Firefighters in 'decisive' push to encircle Belgian wildfire
-
F1's Albon re-signs with Williams for 2027
Philips to cut 4,000 jobs as recall losses deepen
Dutch medical device manufacturer Philips said Monday it will slash 4,000 jobs after a massive financial hit for a recall of faulty sleep respirators pushed it into loss.
The 1.3-billion-euro ($1.28 billion) write-down for the defective machines pushed the firm, which currently has nearly 80,000 employees worldwide, into a net loss of the same amount.
Philips is negotiating with US authorities over a final settlement on the faulty devices that put users with sleep apnea at risk of inhaling toxic foam, and faces a number of lawsuits.
"We do face multiple challenges," said new chief executive Roy Jakobs, who only took over earlier this month, adding that the firm had to take "immediate steps" to cut costs.
"This includes the difficult but necessary decision to immediately reduce our workforce by around 4,000 roles globally... a decision we do not take lightly," he said in a call with investors.
The job losses would mainly be in the United States, the Netherlands, India and China, he said.
Shares in Philips dropped 0.75 percent on the Amsterdam stock exchange in morning trading.
The firm's previous CEO Frans van Houten stepped down earlier this month after leading the company's transition from a consumer electronics to medical device manufacturer over the past 12 years.
Dutchman Jakobs admitted that Amsterdam-based Philips had to "rebuild trust" and had not "lived up to... expectations" of its shareholders in recent years.
"These initial actions are needed to start turning the company around in order to realise Philips' profitable growth potential and create value for all our stakeholders," Jakobs said.
- 'Class-action lawsuits' -
Philips first announced a recall in June 2021 after sound-dampening foam on some of its sleep respirators was found to degrade under certain conditions.
The issue put users at risk of inhaling or swallowing pieces of debris with what the firm called "possible toxic and carcinogenic effects".
It has since produced four million replacement devices and repair kits, it said.
But Philips now faces a US Department of Justice investigation and has been in negotiation with US authorities over a proposed financial settlement since July 2022.
The firm said it also faces "several class-action lawsuits and individual personal injury claims".
Philips had already set aside 900 million euros over the faulty respirators and had warned two weeks ago it would take the 1.3-billion-euro charge this quarter for the problem.
But it says it cannot give a final overall figure for the respirator issue "given the uncertain nature and timing of the relevant events."
Philips expects to make another 300 million euros in charges in coming quarters as it proceeds with the restructuring, although it expects those measures will lead to savings of a similar amount.
The company posted a net profit of three billion euros in the third quarter last year, but that was boosted from the sale of its domestic appliances business.
Sales came in at 4.3 billion euros in the July-September period, a drop of five percent on a comparable basis from the same time last year due to supply chain problems.
This was partly because of "operational and supply challenges, inflationary pressures, the Covid situation in China and the Russia-Ukraine war", the company said.
Philips currently employs nearly 80,000 people in 100 countries.
It started off as a lighting company more than 100 years ago but has undergone major changes in recent years, focusing in particular on remote healthcare.
N.Awad--SF-PST