-
Trump's devoted 'human printer' in media glare
-
Germany, France, UN condemn far-right Israeli minister's 'inhumane' Gaza remarks
-
Top seed Zverev bundled out by Paul in rain-hit Cincinnati upset
-
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK: British press
-
WADA pledges vigilance on Russian athletes ahead of 2028 Olympics
-
Lee, Baena guide Atletico to opening Liga win over Malaga
-
NASA satellite rescue mission fails
-
Ecuador intel chief, five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
-
Cobolli halts Jodar to reach Cincinnati quarter-finals
-
Robinson and Tongue share match ball after dismissing Pakistan
-
As election looms, Netanyahu puts Turkey in Israel's crosshairs
-
Israel army admits firing on car in death of five-year-old Hind Rajab
-
McIlroy questions LIV stars 'value' as talk of PGA return builds
-
Honduras places 80% of country on El Nino drought alert
-
'Breakthrough' mRNA cancer drug curbs melanoma in large trial
-
Some of Meta's safety tools were 'designed to fail': witness
-
Many US Fed policymakers back interest rate hikes if inflation stays high
-
PSG Ligue 1 opener moved over state of Parc des Princes pitch
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan collapse in England opener
-
UK PM launches bid to help homeless, donating part of his wages
-
All Blacks must get 'everything right' to beat Springboks, says legend Fitzpatrick
-
Golden Shoe winner Kane hopes for Ballon d'Or after 'best season ever'
-
Robinson and Tongue star as Pakistan all out for 171 in England opener
-
Kyiv's ex-defence chief makes risky bet by venturing into electoral grounds
-
Lake Zurich sees water level hit record low amid drought
-
Coventry have survival inspiration says Lampard
-
Merck and Moderna's tailored cancer drug curbs melanoma recurrence in trial
-
Reijnders leaves Man City for Saudi's Al Qadsiah
-
Referees chief Webb wants clamp-down on Premier League set-piece grappling
-
Trump says will meet North Korea's Kim later this year
-
Robinson makes history as Pakistan collapse against England
-
Stocks waver, dollar drops as US Treasury moves to lower bond yields
-
Alvarez can win back Atletico fans in two games: club chief
-
France recalls rare disease drug Tavneos after deaths
-
Oldest human brain cells grown in lab 'recorded passage of time'
-
Arsenal agree to sign Villa defender Konsa: reports
-
7,300 excess deaths and counting in France's historically hot summer
-
Evacuation orders lifted in Belgian wildfire zone
-
Ukraine MPs approve new defence minister after divisive reshuffle
-
UK media skewered for 'hounding' black academic
-
North Korea leader's sister says 'unaware' of reported Kim-Trump communication
-
More than 7,300 excess deaths in France's historically hot summer so far
-
Russia, Ukraine exchange 103 captured soldiers each
-
US socialists score shock Florida win as Trump picks stumble
-
Sainz signs new contract with F1 team Williams
-
Iran warns Gulf countries against helping US after UAE cuts trade ties
-
Playing at Real Madrid 'not for everyone': Bernardo Silva
-
Senior FIFA official withdraws support from embattled Infantino
-
As election nears, Israelis fear polarisation could spark violence
-
Lawson replaces injured Hadjar for Red Bull at Dutch GP
Musk asks court to halt upcoming Twitter trial
Elon Musk asked a US judge Thursday to halt an upcoming trial over his troubled bid to take over Twitter, after the embattled social media company balked at the Tesla's chief's demand to freeze the litigation.
Musk's request comes two days after he revived his $44-billion takeover plan -- the latest of a whiplash-inducing series of reversals in the high-stakes saga.
Having pulled out of the transaction in July, prompting Twitter to sue him for breach of contract, the unpredictable billionaire on Tuesday offered to reinstate the $54.20-per-share offer -- on condition the Delaware court halt the lawsuit against him.
A trial is scheduled to start on October 17.
"There is no need for an expedited trial to order Defendants to do what they are already doing and this action is now moot," said a filing prepared by Musk's attorneys that alluded to his latest offer.
"Yet, Twitter will not take yes for an answer. Astonishingly they have insisted on proceeding with this litigation, recklessly putting the deal at risk and gambling with their stockholders interests."
The filing said Twitter had opposed a suspension on the "theoretical possibility" of lack of financing for the transaction, adding that Musk has access to financing to close the deal "on or around October 28."
In a statement, Twitter said its stance was based on Musk's repeated efforts to derail the legislation, saying his latest appeal to the court "is an invitation to further mischief and delay."
The company said Tuesday it expects to close the buyout deal at the $54.20 price agreed in April.
Analysts say the litigation provides leverage to Twitter against the risk of another shift by Musk.
Twitter "thought they had a deal before," said Adam Badawi, a law professor at the University of California, Berkeley. "So to actually accept something from (Musk), it's going to have to be as ironclad as it possibly can.
"But if details (can be) worked out, litigation will be off."
"I imagine Twitter will want to put the $44 billion in escrow, or a very large amount of money, to show his good faith and commitment to actually getting this done," Badawi said.
On Wednesday, Delaware Judge Kathaleen McCormick said she still planned to go ahead with the trial, which was put on a fast track in July.
As of now, Musk is scheduled to be deposed in the case on Monday, CNBC reported.
A serial entrepreneur made rich through his success with Tesla electric cars, Musk began to step back from the Twitter deal soon after it was agreed.
Musk said in July he was canceling the purchase because he was misled by Twitter concerning the number of fake "bot" accounts, allegations rejected by the company.
Twitter meanwhile has sought to prove Musk was contriving excuses to walk away -- simply because he changed his mind.
G.AbuHamad--SF-PST