-
Brazil's Lula hails new oil find as 'passport to the future'
-
Paramount demands $1.9 billion surety over states' merger lawsuit
-
Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win
-
Latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Two largest US reservoirs hit record lows amid western drought
-
NBA has no evidence of Clippers salary cap cheating: report
-
Colombian minister under fire over beach holiday post-quake
-
Boehly and Walter consider selling Chelsea stake to Clearlake Capital
-
Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino
-
OpenAI to lease massive new AI data center in US, backed by Nvidia
-
Buss family sells 17.8% stake in Lakers to Iger group
-
US stocks fall on spiking bond yields, higher oil prices
-
Mangione state murder trial postponed after federal guilty plea
-
LIV Golf cancels Michigan event, to decide team title at Indy
-
Trump envoy says Hamas disarmament could begin within 30 days
-
Rodri arrives at Barcelona to complete 'dream' move
-
US pauses construction of border project in Texas national park
-
Discord suspends livestreams in Brazil after teen's suicide
-
Thousands mourn dead black academic in London vigil
-
Tupac Shakur's accused killer was out for 'revenge', jury hears
-
South Africa Test series a lot tougher than a World Cup says All Blacks coach Rennie
-
Netanyahu presses role for US general in Hamas disarmament
-
Coventry sign Nigeria striker Awoniyi from Forest
-
US-Palestinian says 'terrified' as he returns to property besieged by settlers
-
TripleDart tops $7 million ARR with AI-led growth, reports 50 per cent EBIT margin
-
Amboss Opens Affiliate Program: Earn Recurring Bitcoin Commissions by Growing Bitcoin Payments
-
Bipartisan backlash as Trump scales back US-South Korea drills
-
Netanyahu, Kushner discuss US general for Hamas disarmament: Israeli official
-
'Never seen one like it': German pensioners flee wildfire
-
Scottish FA withdraws support for FIFA boss Infantino
-
Ipswich sign Enciso and Ouattara in double raid on Strasbourg
-
Belgium fire halts short of German border, but not 'contained'
-
UN laments 'unacceptable' toll of 350 aid workers killed in 2025
-
Number one Shi suffers shock first-round exit at badminton worlds
-
Former child star actress Hayden Panettiere dead at 36
-
Kolisi and Nche may miss South Africa Test against New Zealand
-
Pakistan captain Babar Azam doubtful for England opener
-
Trump threatens Oman: latest developments in US-Iran war
-
Pentagon inks Tomahawk deal amid reports of missile shortfall
-
Stocks lower as Hormuz concerns and high oil prices persist
-
Rain halts India push after Dinusha century lifts Sri Lanka
-
Crowds turn out for 'Total Eclipse' singer Bonnie Tyler's funeral
-
Dinusha hits century as Sri Lanka post 284 in first India Test
-
Mali jails junta-critic broadcaster, influencer for seven years
-
Stocks steady as investors weigh US rate path
-
'Nowhere to run': Indonesian quake survivors plead for help
-
Taiwan's leader says government to propose record defence spending for 2027
-
Belgium fire makes 'limited' spread overnight, more help on way
-
Cambridge head slams 'feeding frenzy' over dead academic
-
Vingegaard brings curtain down on season
Volkswagen to change CEO and style with departure of Diess
Volkswagen unexpectedly announced Friday that its CEO Herbert Diess will step down in a few weeks after four years at the head of the German auto giant as it attempts an ambitious shift towards electric vehicles.
Diess's will leave the helm from the top of the world's second-largest automaker "by mutual consent" on September 1, Volkswagen said in a statement.
The outgoing CEO had been in the hot seat at Volkswagen for months amid clashes with workers' representatives and a nagging troubles at the group's software division.
The change at the top comes as Volkswagen is aiming to leave behind combustion engines to become the world's biggest electric car manufacturer by 2025 -- a target boosted by Diess himself.
Diess had "played a key role" in the transformation of the group, steered the company through "extremely turbulent waters" and "implemented a fundamentally new strategy", said Volkswagen supervisory board chairman, Hans Dieter Poetsch.
The reins will be taken by Oliver Blume, the current boss of the Porsche sports cars, part of the Volkswagen family of 12 brands, which also includes the likes of Skoda and Audi.
The switch was decided at a meeting of the group supervisory board on Friday.
"Team spirit, fairness and passion are essential for success," he said in a statement on Friday.
Blume will stay on as the CEO of Porsche, which is in the midst of planning an entry onto the stock market, potentially as soon as this year.
- Software malfunction -
Diess took over Volkswagen in 2018, tasked with turning the page once and for good on the 2015 "dieselgate" scandal, where Volkswagen tampered with millions of diesel vehicles to dupe emissions tests.
Under Diess, Volkswagen has backed its electric shift with a total of 46 billion euros ($46.8 billion) in planned investments over the next five years.
Latterly, Diess took over responsibility for VW's tech division Cariad on the board of management.
But the development of a platform to be used in the group's vehicles has however been mired by "production delays" that have "cost money", according to German automotive expert Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer.
The software branch had likely "created too many problems and challenges for the VW Group", he said.
Revitalising the software division would be top of Blume's in-tray, Dudenhoeffer said, along with the future of Volkswagen's battery strategy.
In one of his last acts as CEO, Diess laid the ceremonial cornerstone at the site of the group's first in-house battery factory alongside German Chancellor Olaf Scholz.
- Divisive style -
The outgoing CEO often ruffled feathers with his divisive style that led to clashes.
An open admirer of Elon Musk, the CEO of American electric vehicles pioneer Tesla, Diess said last year the storied German carmaker would need a "revolution" to take on its US rival.
His suggestion last October that up to 30,000 jobs could be at risk at Volkswagen in Germany if it could not cut costs in its transition to battery-powered models angered powerful workers' representatives.
In 2019, Diess was made to apologise for making a play on words with a Nazi slogan -- "EBIT macht frei" -- a ham-fisted attempt to underline the importance of operational profits to the group.
The Volkswagen group as a whole has been in the spotlight of late for its operations in the Chinese province of Xinjiang, where authorities are accused of leading a crackdown against the Muslim minority.
Diess said recently the automaker "should stay" in the region and gave assurances there is "no forced labour" at the factory it operates together with its Chinese partner SAIC.
Y.Zaher--SF-PST