-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
-
Iraola wants to sign wingers to boost Liverpool's attacking options
-
UK forecasts 'biggest' El Nino will smash records, spark hottest year
-
Maresca needs time to succeed after 'big changes' at Man City
-
Cyclist Alaphilippe attracts tributes as reports say he has quit
-
Meghan faces difficult return to the UK
-
Top-ranked An, holder Yamaguchi reach badminton worlds semi-finals
-
Archer double strengthens England's grip on first Test against Pakistan
-
Iran president says time to end war while in position of strength
-
MEXC Lists Ondo Tokenized Stock Moderna (MRNAON), Expanding Access to U.S. Biotech Exposure
-
Antonelli fastest in sole Dutch GP practice session
-
Japan axes Netflix collaboration after outcry over dating show
China's trade surplus tops $1 trillion despite plunge in US-bound exports
China's towering annual trade surplus surpassed $1 trillion for the first time last month, data showed Monday, as a sharp drop in shipments to the United States was offset by surging exports to other major markets.
Presidents Xi Jinping and Donald Trump reached a tentative truce to their fierce trade war when they met in late October, agreeing a pause to painful measures that included lofty tit-for-tat tariffs.
Exports have served as a key economic lifeline for China as trade and relations with the United States and others have fluctuated in recent years.
That has helped temper a prolonged debt crisis in the country's vast property sector and sluggish domestic spending, which have weighed on growth and are among the most pressing issues facing Beijing.
Exports climbed 5.9 percent year-on-year in November, reversing the slight decline recorded in October, the General Administration of Customs said.
The reading was also above a Bloomberg forecast of four percent growth.
The jump came despite a continued downturn in shipments to the United States, which sank 28.6 percent to $33.8 billion in November, the data showed.
"Weakness in exports to the United States was more than offset by shipments to other markets," Zichun Huang of Capital Economics wrote in a note.
"Exports are likely to remain resilient, thanks to trade rerouting and rising price competitiveness as deflation pushes down China's real effective exchange rate," Huang said.
The surge in shipments last month added to the country's ballooning annual trade surplus for the first 11 months of the year, which the Customs data showed hit $1.08 trillion in November.
"China's trade surplus this year has already surpassed last year's level, and we expect it to widen further next year," Huang wrote.
But the imbalance has long been a sticking point for major Western trading partners.
French President Emmanuel Macron threatened in remarks published Sunday to impose tariffs on China if Beijing fails to reduce its massive trade surplus with the European Union.
Macron -- who concluded a state visit to China last week -- warned in business daily Les Echos that "Europeans will be forced to take strong measures in the coming months".
In a further sign of China's weak domestic consumption, the data showed Monday that imports rose 1.9 percent on-year in November -- slower than the three percent increase predicted by Bloomberg.
"The rebound of export growth in November helps to mitigate the weak domestic demand," Zhiwei Zhang, president and chief economist at Pinpoint Asset Management, wrote in a note.
"The economic momentum slowed in the fourth quarter partly driven by the continued weakness in the property sector," he said.
Xi and Trump agreed at the October meeting in South Korea to scale back sky-high tariffs on each other's goods and blistering export controls that had sent shockwaves across global industries.
The detente is due to expire late next year, allowing time for officials to reach a permanent deal -- though experts warn such a breakthrough will be challenging.
"There's no guarantee this uneasy truce will last that long," Lynn Song, ING chief economist for Greater China, said last week.
"A lot needs to go right for the agreement to hold for the full year," he wrote, adding that "it seems prudent to expect a softer external demand backdrop for next year."
China's leaders -- who are targeting overall growth this year of five percent -- are expected to convene a key meeting this week focused on economic planning.
S.Abdullah--SF-PST