-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
-
Russell takes pole for Dutch GP sprint
-
Shakhtar Donetsk to play Champions League home games at Chelsea
-
England start life after Bazball with rout of Pakistan
-
Arsenal sign Villa centre-back Konsa as champions bolster defence
-
'Duck run' pest control catching on in S.Africa's winelands
-
The 'hedgehogs' leading Poland's defences on Russian border
-
UK, Canada, Australia slam Israel ending probe into aid worker killings
-
England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
-
Spurs spending spree vital to raise standards: De Zerbi
-
Fury says Joshua fight 'doesn't look like it's going to happen'
-
US, Canada try to wrap up trade deal before latest Trump deadline
-
Argentina's Paredes suspended 10 matches by FIFA for World Cup fight
-
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
-
Watkins and Martinez could join Villa exodus says Emery
-
Judge allows UK rugby brain injury court case to continue to trial
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail £9.5mn
-
Trump announces temporary tariff relief on ground beef imports
-
Aligned Launches $ALIGN, the Native Token of Its Full Ethereum Stack
-
Pope to visit San Marino, address Italian political event
-
Bitcoin jumps, stocks bounce as traders weigh US Treasury action
-
All Blacks just as good as Springboks, says captain Savea
-
Man City boss Maresca hit with Doku injury blow
-
Romania holding suspected 'low-level agent' after pistols found near Berlin: Germany
How successful has OPEC+'s oil output policy been in 2025?
Ministers of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and allied nations (OPEC+) are unlikely to make changes to their oil output strategy when they discuss production at an online ministerial meeting on Sunday.
After years of slashing output to prop up prices, key members of the OPEC+ group, including Saudi Arabia and Russia, surprised markets earlier this year by hiking production to levels very few had anticipated.
AFP takes a look at OPEC+'s output policy in 2025 and what factors influenced the cartel's decisions:
- How did OPEC+'s output policy fare this year? -
Since April, eight OPEC+ key members (V8) -- comprising Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Algeria and Oman -- have boosted production by around 2.9 million barrels per day (bpd) in total.
Faced with growing competition, particularly from producers in the United States, but also Canada, Brazil and Guyana, the group has focused on hiking production in a bid to regain a larger share of the oil market.
While OPEC+'s strategy has contributed to a supply glut that weighed on crude prices and effectively eroded some of the group's profits, experts say a mix of other factors offset them.
In recent months, the 12-day Iran-Israel war, the US sanctions on Russia's oil sector and China's build-up of strategic oil reserves have driven up demand for oil, stemming a sharp fall in prices.
According to Kim Fustier, an analyst at HSBC, "none of these (factors) could have been forecast on (the) 1st of January", but thanks to them the OPEC+ output strategy "has generally worked".
"You could argue OPEC+ got slightly lucky," she told AFP.
- Did Trump's return to the White House influence the group's decisions? -
According to Francis Perrin, who heads research at the Institute for International and Strategic Relations (IRIS), Donald Trump's return as US president also influenced OPEC+'s series of output hikes this year.
"The Trump factor is absolutely essential" in explaining the OPEC+ output increases, Perrin told AFP.
Shortly after taking office in January, Trump called on Riyadh to boost production to bring down oil prices.
Saudi Arabia, the world's leading oil exporter and the most influential member of OPEC+, has made the accommodation of US interests "an important asset" in its diplomacy with Washington, said Perrin.
Trump, in turn, has also agreed to several requests from Riyadh during a recent visit by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the United States.
For example, the two countries ratified a joint declaration on civil nuclear energy and signed an agreement providing Saudi Arabia access to advanced American-made AI systems, according to Washington.
The price of a barrel of Brent, the global benchmark for crude, is hovering around $60-$65, which suits Trump, Perrin said.
While the price is relatively low, it is high enough for US producers to be profitable and maintain current production levels.
- Why is there no further production hike in Q1? -
After a final increase in quotas in December, the V8 already warned last month that there would be a pause in production adjustments in the first quarter of 2026, citing weaker seasonal demand.
For that reason, "we don't expect much to come out of this meeting" this time, said Fustier.
"OPEC+ is not going to want to get ahead of" any outcome of the ongoing negotiations on the war in Ukraine.
An easing of tensions in the war between Russia and Ukraine would reduce the geopolitical risk premium that is driving up crude prices, while a deadlock in the negotiations would shift the focus of producers back to US sanctions against Russian oil giants Lukoil and Rosneft.
M.Qasim--SF-PST