-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
US begins sending nuke workers home as shutdown drags
The agency responsible for safeguarding the US nuclear stockpile began placing most staff on enforced leave Monday, US media reported, as the government shutdown dragged into a fourth week.
Some 1,400 workers at the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) were due to receive notices telling them they had been placed on unpaid "furlough," CNN reported, leaving just 375 at their posts.
"Since its creation in 2000, NNSA has never before furloughed federal workers during funding lapses," Energy Department spokesman Ben Dietderich told CNN.
"We are left with no choice this time. We've extended funding as long as we could."
The United States has an arsenal of 5,177 nuclear warheads, with about 1,770 deployed, according to the global security nonprofit Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
The NNSA is responsible for designing, manufacturing, servicing and securing the weapons, and oversees some 60,000 contractors.
The Department of Energy did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but Energy Secretary Chris Wright was expected to highlight the impact on the nuclear deterrent during a visit later Monday to the Nevada National Security Site.
The furloughs will initially hit sites that assemble nuclear weapons, forcing facilities such as Pantex in Texas and Y-12 in Tennessee into "safe shutdown mode," CNN reported.
At 20 days, America is enduring the longest full government shutdown ever -- the third-longest if partial stoppages are included.
President Donald Trump has been ratcheting up pressure on Democrats to vote with his Republicans to reopen the government, with increasingly ominous threats to slash public services and start mass layoffs.
Kevin Hassett, the director of the White House National Economic Council, told CNBC he expected the shutdown to end "some time this week" -- but warned Democrats of "stronger measures... to bring them to the table" if it dragged further.
- 'Danger to the American people' -
Senate Republicans have offered a vote on renewing expiring health care subsidies for 24 million Americans -- Democrats' key condition for backing a House-passed funding resolution that would reopen the government.
But many Democrats insist that any deal in the upper chamber of Congress will be meaningless without the sign-off of House Speaker Mike Johnson and Trump.
Johnson has vowed to keep the lower chamber of Congress closed until the shutdown ends, and it has already been out of session since September 19.
"Every day that the government is shut down, it is a danger to the American people," Johnson told reporters on Monday, when he was asked about the NNSA furloughs.
He warned that falling behind US adversaries in the nuclear arms race would be a "very serious" threat to America's status as "the last great superpower."
Trump meanwhile has been clear that he believes Republicans are winning the messaging war and has not felt the need so far to intervene.
The next significant inflection point may come on November 1, the start of open enrollment for health insurance.
Punchbowl News reported that Senate Democrats see this date as a potential off-ramp because they can argue that it will not be possible afterwards for Congress to address the expiring subsidies.
Democratic strategists are confident that they can stick Republicans with the blame for skyrocketing premiums and health care coverage losses that would hit millions of Americans in 2026 if no action is taken.
Federal employees -- who generally get paid every two weeks -- are expected to miss the entire amount for the first time on Thursday, and troop pay is another issue pressuring lawmakers to strike a deal.
The Senate is due to consider legislation midweek that would allow members of the military and other federal workers to receive pay, though it's not clear that the effort has sufficient Democratic buy-in.
And the Senate is expected to reject for the 11th time the House-passed resolution to reopen the government.
Z.Ramadan--SF-PST