-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
Macron to name new French PM within 48 hours
French President Emmanuel Macron will name a new prime minister within the next 48 hours, his office said on Wednesday, after the resignation of outgoing premier Sebastien Lecornu tipped the country deeper into political crisis.
Lecornu told French TV in an interview earlier that he expected a new premier to be named -- rather than early legislative elections to be called or Macron to resign -- in a bid to resolve the crisis.
Macron had on Monday given Lecornu until Wednesday evening to find a way out of months of deadlock over an austerity budget.
Lecornu had resigned early Monday after less than a month in office in the wake of appointing a pro-Macron cabinet that caused consternation on the right and left.
"The president thanks Sebastien Lecornu for the work done over these last 48 hours," the presidency said in a statement to AFP.
He "will name a prime minister within 48 hours", it said, adding that a "path was possible" to agree a budget by the end of the year.
Macron had the options of reappointing Lecornu, naming the eighth premier of his increasingly troubled mandate, calling snap legislative elections or even resigning himself.
The escalation of the crisis has turned into the worst political headache for Macron since he came to office in 2017.
Close allies have deserted the head of state, who appears increasingly isolated.
Lecornu said he had told Macron that the prospects for snap elections had "receded" as there was a majority in the lower house of parliament against being dissolved.
After former premier Edouard Philippe said that Macron himself should step down and call snap presidential polls, Lecornu insisted the president should serve out his term until 2027.
It was "not the time to change the president", Lecornu said.
"Let's not make the French believe that it's the president who votes the budget."
- 'Mission finished' -
Suggesting that a more technocratic government could be named, Lecornu said that people in a new cabinet should not have "ambitions" to stand in the 2027 presidential elections.
"The situation is already difficult enough. We need a team that decides to roll up its sleeves and solve the country's problems until the presidential election," he said.
He added a "path" should be found to open a debate on the lowering of the pension age -- the most contentious domestic reform of Macron's mandate -- but warned any suspension would cost at least three billion euros ($3.5 billion) in 2027.
Education Minister Elisabeth Borne, who was premier at the time the reform was forced through parliament without a vote, had called for it to be suspended.
Lecornu offered no clue over who the next premier would be, but hinted that he would not be reappointed without totally excluding such an outcome.
"I tried everything... This evening my mission is finished," said Lecornu, who served over three years as defence minister, describing himself as a "warrior monk".
He added that a new budget could be presented to the cabinet on Monday.
But it would "not be perfect" and there would be "lots to debate", he cautioned.
- Vote against 'everything' -
Whoever is named as premier will likely face the same problems encountered by Lecornu and his two immediate predecessors, Michel Barnier and Francois Bayrou. Both were toppled by parliament.
After losing their majority in the 2022 elections and ceding even more seats in snap polls last year, Macron's centrists have governed in a de facto coalition with the right-wing Republicans.
But even this combination is a minority in parliament, and any premier risks being voted out again if the left teams up with the far-right National Rally of Marine Le Pen.
Le Pen said Wednesday she would thwart all action by any new government and would "vote against everything".
Le Pen's anti-immigration party senses its best ever chance of winning power in the 2027 presidential elections, with Macron barred from running.
Critical to any government's hopes of survival could be the Socialists, a party Macron has long tried to woo away from a broad left-wing alliance.
But Socialist leader Olivier Faure emerged from a meeting with Lecornu earlier Wednesday lamenting that the premier had "given no assurance" the pension reform would be suspended.
C.AbuSway--SF-PST