-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
Gisele Pelicot says 'never' gave consent to accused rapist
Gisele Pelicot, who became a feminist hero in a mass rape trial last year, testified in court on Wednesday, telling the one man who still denies raping her that she "never" gave him her consent.
The 72-year-old's former husband has admitted to drugging her with sedatives and inviting dozens of strangers to rape and abuse her over nearly a decade in a case that shocked the world.
A French court handed her ex-husband Dominique Pelicot, 72, the maximum term of 20 years in jail last year. He and 49 other men convicted in the case are not appealing their sentences.
But one man, 44-year-old Husamettin Dogan, has maintained his innocence, drawing the woman who publicly defied her abusers back into court.
At the beginning of the original trial, she famously argued that it should be the perpetrators of sexual violence, not the victims, who should be ashamed.
Pelicot has been greeted with applause at each of her arrivals in court since the trial opened earlier this week in the southern city of Nimes.
On Wednesday, she confronted Dogan in court.
"At what moment did I give you my consent?" Pelicot asked. "Never."
"Take responsibility for your actions and stop hiding behind your cowardice," she added.
- 'Never forced anyone' -
Investigators found a total of 107 photos and 14 videos from the night Dogan visited the couple's home in 2019 on a hard drive belonging to Dominique Pelicot.
Some of that footage, which shows Dogan penetrating an inert Gisele Pelicot and also trying to force her to perform oral sex on him, was shown to the court on Wednesday before she took the stand.
In the videos, the two men whisper to avoid waking her.
Despite the video evidence, Dogan, who was sentenced to nine years in prison for rape at the original trial, defended himself in court Wednesday.
He repeated his version of events, trying to shift the blame onto Pelicot's former husband, saying he felt "trapped".
"I wanted to stop. At one point, I became very suspicious. I continued because he reassured me," Dogan said.
"He's the manipulator, not me. He's the one who lured me there," he added.
On Tuesday, Dominique Pelicot told the court that Dogan had been a willing participant in his scheme.
"I never forced anyone," he said.
Dominique Pelicot said that Dogan knew his wife would be "asleep".
- '3 hours and 24 minutes' -
Gisele Pelicot would have preferred to focus on her future, one of her lawyers, Antoine Camus, told AFP.
But she remained "astounded by the (defendant's) continued denial, despite the material evidence", her lawyer said.
"She needs to see this through to the end," he added.
On Tuesday, Jeremie Bosse-Platiere, the police officer who led the investigation into the case, also attacked Dogan's arguments, citing the video footage.
"I have no doubt that he was fully aware of the victim's condition," he said.
The police commissioner described a video in which Gisele Pelicot was seen moving slightly and Dogan immediately moving away.
"We understand that he is worried that his victim might wake up and freezes in a waiting position," said Bosse-Platiere.
He risks a maximum of 20 years in jail.
The verdict is expected on Thursday.
burs-ah-ekf/sw/jj
M.AlAhmad--SF-PST