-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant off grid; Russia, Ukraine trade blame
The Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant has been off the grid for four straight days, Ukraine and Russia said Saturday, blaming each other for attacks on power lines.
Though blackouts at Europe's biggest nuclear power plant are frequent, due to its proximity to the front line, this one is the longest so far, which experts warn raises the risk of incidents.
"As a result of Russian actions, the Zaporizhzhia NPP (Nuclear Power Plant) has been without power for the fourth day," Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said on X.
Russia said the power plant -- which it took control of in the first weeks of the war in 2022 -- has been receiving backup power supply since Tuesday, when it said Ukraine attacked the grid.
"From September 23, 2025, the power supply for the needs of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is provided by backup diesel generators," the Moscow-backed operator of the station said on Telegram.
There were "sufficient" reserves of diesel to operate "for an extended period", it added, without elaborating.
"Emergency diesel generators are considered a last line of defence to be used only in extreme circumstances," NGO Greenpeace Ukraine said.
The group claimed Moscow could use the crisis "to try and reconnect to the temporary Russian-occupied grid of Ukraine," to restart one of the reactors later.
Yuri Chernichuk, the Moscow-appointed director of the power station, said in January that Zaporizhzhia could potentially provide electricity to Russian-annexed Crimea, and the southern and eastern parts of Ukraine under Russia's control, the TASS news agency reported at the time.
Earlier this month, he told TASS that the process of integrating the power station to the Russian network was at its final stage.
- Safety concerns -
The head of the UN nuclear agency IAEA, Rafael Grossi, had been in Moscow this week for talks with President Vladimir Putin and Russia's nuclear agency Rosatom regarding safety at Zaporizhzhia.
The plant's six reactors, which before the war produced around a fifth of Ukraine's electricity, have been shut down since Moscow took over.
But the plant needs power to maintain cooling and safety systems, which prevent reactors from melting -- a danger that could set off a nuclear incident.
Since the start of the war, Zaporizhzhia has seen multiple safety threats, including frequent nearby shelling, repeated power cuts and staff shortages.
Located near the city of Enerhodar along the Dnieper river, the ZNPP is close to the front line.
Both Moscow and Kyiv have repeatedly accused the other of risking a potentially devastating nuclear disaster by attacking the site.
D.Qudsi--SF-PST