-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
Google fights breakup of ad tech business in US court
Google faced a fresh federal court test on Monday as US government lawyers asked a judge to order the breakup of the search engine giant's ad technology business.
The lawsuit is Google's second such test this year after the California-based tech juggernaut saw a similar government demand to split up its empire rejected by a judge earlier this month.
Monday's case focuses specifically on Google's ad tech "stack" -- the tools that website publishers use to sell ads and that advertisers use to buy them.
In a landmark decision earlier this year, Federal Judge Leonie Brinkema agreed with the US Department of Justice (DOJ) that Google maintained an illegal grip on this market.
This week's trial is set to determine what penalties and changes Google must implement to undo its monopoly.
For the US government, Google should be ordered to spin off a piece of its ad tech operations, commit to changing its business practices and undergo close court supervision for the coming years.
"The law requires the court to put its thumb on the scale" and end Google's "profound and persistent harms" to potential rivals, said DOJ lawyer Julia Tarver Wood in her opening arguments.
Specifically, the DOJ is asking that Google relinquish its dominating ad exchange operations, the software where publishers sell their ad inventory to advertisers and ad agencies through a real-time bidding auction system.
In her opening statement, Google's lawyer Karen Dunne called the DOJ's proposals "radical and reckless," a "swing for the fences" and said "caution was key" when Judge Brinkema made her decision on the fate of Google's ad tech business.
Dunne added that the government's fix was technically unfeasible, would be highly disruptive to the industry and would "fail as a practical matter."
She not surprisingly turned to the recent decision in the similar case involving Google's search business in which a different judge decided that splitting up the company's business would be "messy and highly risky."
Instead, Google was required to share data with rivals as part of its remedies and undergo some court-ruled oversight.
The US government had pushed for Chrome's divestment, arguing the browser serves as a crucial gateway to the internet that brings in a third of all Google web searches.
Google's Dunne said the same caution should apply, with a forced divestiture far too radical a step, as she set forth the company's commitments to change its business practices in order to satisfy the judge.
The DOJ insisted these fixes fell short of what was needed and would see the tech giant swiftly regain its monopoly over the sector.
In a similar case in Europe, the European Commission, the EU's antitrust enforcer, earlier this month fined Google 2.95 billion euros ($3.47 billion) over its control of the ad tech market.
Brussels ordered behavioral changes, drawing criticism that it was going easy on Google as it had previously indicated that a divestiture may be necessary.
This US trial is expected to last about a week, with a decision by Judge Brinkema not expected for months.
These cases are part of a broader bipartisan government campaign against the world's largest technology companies. The US currently has five pending antitrust cases against Silicon Valley's tech giants.
T.Khatib--SF-PST