-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Novartis chief eyes ways to end higher US drug prices: media
Amid a threat of towering US tariffs, Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis is seeking ways to enable Americans to pay less for their medicines, its chief said in an interview published Saturday.
Vasant Narasimhan told the Swiss daily Neue Zurcher Zeitung (NZZ) that his company was "working to eliminate the price gap between the US and other industrialised countries".
"We are working with the government and trying to find constructive solutions so that Americans pay less for their medicines," he told the Swiss daily.
While pharmaceutical products have been spared so far from the tariffs Washington has slapped on its trading partners, US President Donald Trump has threatened to hit the entire sector with tariffs of as much as 250 percent if drug prices do not drop.
Narasimhan suggested it made sense to bring down US prices.
"It is a fact that American patients pay for a large part of the innovations," he acknowledged to the NZZ, insisting that "countries outside the US will have to contribute a larger share in the future".
Pharmaceutical companies are meanwhile facing massive pressure from the Trump administration to move production to the United States.
Novartis already announced in April that it plans to invest $23 billion in the United States over five years.
The goal was "to manufacture the most important products for the American market locally", he said, adding that it would "probably take three to four years to get there".
But he estimated the company could "make significant shifts within the next two years", including carrying out some of the final filling and packaging in the United States.
These efforts, he said, should allow Novartis to weather the situation if pharmaceuticals are hit with the same tariffs Washington has already slapped on other exports from the European countries where it has most of its production.
Washington is currently taxing imports from the EU at 15 percent and from Switzerland at 39 percent.
Novartis's rapid US expansion "should allow us to fully mitigate any tariffs", Narasimhan said.
The company was "more concerned about the tariffs for the entire industry", he acknowledged.
Narasimhan said he was not worried about finding enough workers to staff Novartis's new US factories, anticipating that massive pharmaceutical industry investment pledges would boost the US education system to turn out more specialists.
He added that many pharmaceutical factory processes were "fully automated".
"We only need a total of 1,000 to 1,500 additional workers to operate our planned new factories in the US," he said.
"That's manageable."
P.Tamimi--SF-PST