-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Clashes, disruption in France on day of anti-Macron 'anger'
French protesters were on Thursday staging a day of nationwide protests and strikes in a show of anger over President Emmanuel Macron's austerity policies, causing widespread disruption.
Public transport stalled, schools closed down and tens of thousands of people took to the streets for demonstrations marked by sporadic clashes with the police.
Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu, Macron's seventh head of government, vowed a break from the past in a bid to defuse a deepening political crisis after taking office last week.
But the appointment of the 39-year-old former defence minister and close Macron ally has failed to calm the anger of unions and many French people.
"Every day the richest get richer and the poor get poorer," Bruno Cavalier, a 64-year-old protester carrying a placard reading "Smile, you are being taxed", told AFP in Lyon, France's third-largest city.
Protesters remain incensed about the draft 44-billion-euro ($52-billion) cost-saving budget of Lecornu's predecessor Francois Bayrou, despite the new premier's pledges to abolish both life-long privileges for ex-prime ministers and a widely detested plan to scrap two public holidays.
More than 80,000 police officers and gendarmes have been deployed, backed by drones, armoured vehicles and water cannons.
Between 600,000 and 900,000 people are expected to take to the streets across France, according to interior ministry estimates ahead of the demonstrations.
As of Thursday noon, more than 76,500 people had taken to the streets, with the rallies so far "less intense than expected," said Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau.
- 'We are fed up' -
With unions calling for strikes in a rare show of unity, around one in six teachers at primary and secondary schools walked out while nine out of 10 pharmacies were shuttered.
Commuters faced severe disruption on the Paris Metro, where only the three driverless automated lines were working normally.
Trade unions said they were pleased with the scale of the protests.
"We have recorded 260 demonstrations across France," said Sophie Binet, leader of the CGT union. "There are thousands and thousands of strikes in all workplaces."
Police in Paris and Marseille used tear gas to disperse early, unauthorised demonstrations. In Marseille, an AFPTV reporter filmed a policeman kicking a protester on the ground, though police said they had been confronted by "hostile" demonstrators.
In Lyon, a France TV journalist and a police officer were injured during clashes between police and a group of masked youths at the head of the rally.
On the outskirts of the northern city of Lille, protesters took part in an early morning union-led action to block bus depots.
"The aim is to show the government that we're here, that we're fed up with being taxed like crazy, that we're fed up with having trouble making ends meet," said Samuel Gaillard, a 58-year-old garbage truck driver.
Even schoolchildren joined the actions, with around 300 pupils blocking access to the Maurice Ravel secondary school in eastern Paris, brandishing slogans such as "block your school against austerity".
- Macron, 'source of chaos' -
Officials said they expected Thursday's action to be the most widely followed day of union-led protests and strikes since a months-long mobilisation in early 2023 against Macron's widely reviled raising of the retirement age, which the government rammed through parliament without a vote.
"The president is the source of chaos, and everything that has happened recently is the result of his actions," hard-left firebrand Jean-Luc Melenchon declared in Marseille.
Paris Police Chief Laurent Nunez told AFP on Wednesday that he was "very concerned" about the risk that rioters intent on provoking fights and damage would infiltrate the union march in Paris, urging shops in the centre to close for the day.
A more informal day of action held on September 10, despite isolated disruption, did not deliver on its self-declared aim to "block everything".
B.AbuZeid--SF-PST