-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Jeep owner Stellantis says has turned corner on sales
Jeep owner Stellantis said Tuesday that it sees sales revenue and profitability rebounding in the second half of the year despite taking a 1.5-billion-euro ($1.7-billion) hit from US tariffs.
The 15-brand group that also includes Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat confirmed the preliminary announcement it made last week of a 2.3-billion-euro net loss in the first half of the year, as sales in North America continued to slump on an annual comparison.
But in a statement, Stellantis's new chief executive, Antonio Filosa, said the automaker was beginning to see "gradual improvement" in sales volumes and revenues on a sequential basis "despite intensifying external headwinds".
Like some of its rivals, Stellantis had suspended financial guidance due to the uncertainty surrounding US tariffs and regulatory changes, but it said it now saw an increase in revenues in the second half of the year as well as operating profit margin in the low single digits.
Under former chief executive Carlos Tavares the company had long targeted a double-digit margin, but it fell to just 0.7 percent.
"2025 has been and will be a tough year," Filosa later told analysts during a conference call, saying the group would accelerate sales by "launching new products, improving our execution, and by taking all the tough decisions needed".
For the key North American market, "we still have tons of work to do. In particular, we are focused on bringing products back to segments where we have been absent on improving industrial execution", he added.
- 'Wave' of new models -
Stellantis also put a figure on the impact of the 25-percent US tariffs on auto imports: 1.5 billion euros for 2025 overall, of which 300 million euros was incurred in the first half of the year.
Part of the turnaround was taking a 3.3-billion-euro charge, which Stellantis announced last week, that took into account the costs to adapting to new US regulations.
US President Donald Trump's massive tax and spending legislation, approved earlier this month, removed the penalties for not respecting the so-called CAFE fuel economy targets, meaning automakers can produce and sell more higher polluting cars in the United States.
This is allowing Stellantis to bring back a number of models, including pickup trucks and muscle cars, that had been phased out because of their internal combustion engines to meet fuel efficiency targets and pollution limits.
Stellantis said this and a "product wave" of 10 new models this year would support future performance.
Company veteran Filosa took over as chief executive in June, half a year after Tavares left, due in large part to haemorrhaging sales in North America.
Filosa shook up the company's management team and moved swiftly to jettison two billion euros of programmes considered as having poor prospects to quickly turn a profit, such as hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
Stellantis shares were down 0.6 percent in afternoon trading in Paris after initially slumping around 3.7 percent on the news of the tariff hit.
The shares have lost around 37 percent since the start of the year and 70 percent from their peak early last year.
A.AlHaj--SF-PST