-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
ECB expected to hold rates as more Trump tariffs loom
The European Central Bank looks set to keep interest rates unchanged on Thursday while the introduction of higher US tariffs threatened by US President Donald Trump hangs in the balance.
A pause would bring an end to a string of cuts that dates back to September last year, as the ECB progressively lowered borrowing costs in response to sinking inflation.
The pace of consumer price rises has settled around the central bank's two-percent target, having soared to double digit highs in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and Russia's full scale invasion of Ukraine.
But the relatively more favourable monetary policy conditions look fragile with an August 1 deadline for the possible imposition of punitive tariffs on European exports into the United States set by Trump.
With Washington and Brussels still in talks over a possible tariff deal, ECB rate-setters would want "more clarity... before considering any further adjustment to monetary policy", UniCredit analysts said.
A pause would give policymakers the summer to see whether Trump follows through with his threat to slap EU exports with a flat 30-percent tariff, in addition to existing levies on cars, steel and aluminium.
Higher barriers to trade risk delivering a fresh blow to the eurozone economy, and encourage the ECB to contemplate further rate cuts.
-'Powder dry'-
After seven straight cuts and eight in total since June last year, the ECB has brought its benchmark deposit rate down to two percent from its peak of four percent in the midst of the inflation wave.
"Neither the economic data nor latest data regarding price dynamics demand an immediate response from the ECB," according to Dirk Schumacher, chief economist at German public lender KfW.
Eurozone inflation came in at exactly two percent in June and economic indicators including rising factory output have encouraged more optimism about the health of the economy.
The ECB would also want to "keep some powder dry for the case of emergency" if Trump were to apply harsh tariffs, Berenberg analyst Felix Schmidt said.
"A further escalation in the trade dispute would have a significant negative impact on the eurozone economy," leading to more rate cuts, Schmidt said.
The increased strength of the euro against the dollar as a result of tariff uncertainty could also encourage policymakers to further soften the ECB's monetary policy stance.
The euro has surged almost 14 percent against the dollar since the start of the year, boosted by investor moves to dump US assets in the face of Trump's impetuous policymaking and attacks on the US Federal Reserve.
-Strong euro-
A stronger euro would make imports cheaper and further suppress inflation. The ECB is already predicting the indicator to dip to 1.6 percent in 2026 before returning to target in 2027.
Investors will be listening closely to ECB President Christine Lagarde's comments in Frankfurt at 2:45 pm (1245 GMT) for indications of what could come next.
Lagarde dropped a strong hint that the ECB's cutting cycle was "getting to the end" at the last meeting in June, while stressing a data-dependent and meeting-by-meeting approach in the face of uncertainty.
If an expected pause is confirmed Thursday, observers will turn their attention to how ECB thinking is developing ahead of its next gathering in September.
"A relatively quiet July meeting could feature some heightened scrutiny on how comfortable policymakers would be with another euro rally," according to ING bank analyst Carsten Brzeski said.
Worries over currency fluctuations "may not make their way to official communication, but could help tilt the balance to a more dovish overall tone," Brzeski said.
"But with the many uncertainties, we doubt markets will get more clarity about the timing during this meeting."
R.Halabi--SF-PST