-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
Six rescued from cargo ship attacked in Red Sea: EU naval force
Six mariners have been rescued after a deadly attack on a cargo ship that sank off rebel-held Yemen, an EU maritime force said Wednesday, as the search continued for the rest of the crew.
The Eternity C, a Liberian-flagged bulk carrier, was badly damaged in the attack in the Red Sea that started on Monday and continued into Tuesday.
Yemen's Iran-backed Huthi rebels have not claimed responsibility for the attack, which came after they boarded and sank the Magic Seas on Sunday, their first attack on shipping this year.
But the US embassy in Yemen has blamed the Huthis, with UK-based security firm Ambrey also saying the group was likely to blame.
The resumed attacks on shipping mark the end of a months-long lull which began during a two-month ceasefire in Gaza earlier this year and continued after a May ceasefire between the Huthis and Washington.
"Following the attack on the merchant vessel Eternity C in the southern Red Sea, currently six (6) castaway crew members have been recovered from the sea," said Operation Aspides, the European Union naval task force deployed in the Red Sea.
Aspides told AFP that five Filipinos and one Indian had been rescued, while 19 others were still missing.
The ship sank, according to Ambrey and Filipino authorities citing information shared by the vessel's owners.
- Lost leg -
"We were informed that they might have some injuries but there were no serious injuries that were reported," among the five rescued Filipinos, Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Cacdac told reporters in Manila.
A total of 25 people were aboard the Eternity, Aspides told AFP. The Philippine authorities said 21 were citizens.
Earlier, the British navy's United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations had reported five crew had been rescued after "search and rescue operations commenced overnight".
"Searches continue for those remaining," it added.
On Tuesday, Aspides had said three people were killed and at least two injured -- including a Russian electrician who lost a leg -- in the attack on the Eternity C.
The Huthis began its attacks on Red Sea shipping in late 2023, saying they were in support of Palestinians in Gaza.
On Monday, they said they hit the Magic Seas because its owner had done business with Israel and used its ports.
The rebels released a video showing masked gunmen storming the Magic Seas and simultaneous explosions that scuttled the bulk carrier.
Both ships had likely been attacked "due to prior Israeli port calls or ownership/ship manager affiliations", according to the Joint Maritime Information Centre, run by Western navies.
Huthi attacks have prompted many shipping firms to make the time-consuming detour around the southern tip of Africa to avoid the Red Sea, which normally carries about 12 percent of global trade.
Huthi threats to renew their attacks after the Gaza ceasefire collapsed in March prompted a deadly US bombing campaign against the rebels which ended with a May ceasefire.
However, the rebels said they would continue to target "Israeli ships".
In a statement on Tuesday, the US embassy in Yemen blamed the Huthis for the Eternity C attack, calling it "the most violent" yet and accusing them of "undermining freedom of navigation in the Red Sea".
Israel, which has also come under direct missile and drone attack by the Huthis, has carried out multiple strikes on rebel targets in Yemen, most recently on Sunday.
P.Tamimi--SF-PST