-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
France says 'major issues' remain despite brandy price accord with China
France on Friday praised China's steps to settle a trade dispute over European brandy imports but warned that "major issues" remained unresolved.
The signs of a thaw in the row over the alcohol came as China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi met French President Emmanuel Macron and Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot in Paris.
In recent months China and the European Union have butted heads over Beijing's generous subsidies for its domestic industries.
Beijing launched an investigation last year into EU brandy, months after the bloc undertook a probe into Chinese electric vehicle (EV) subsidies.
In the latest salvo, China will from Saturday require European brandy exporters to raise prices or risk anti-dumping taxes of up to 34.9 percent.
Beijing said 34 European brandy makers, including several French cognac producers, had signed an accord to avoid tariffs as long as they stick to an agreed minimum price.
France's cognac makers' association BNIC, which includes key producers Hennessy, Remy Cointreau and Martell, confirmed that some companies had agreed to price increases in China to avoid anti-dumping taxes.
- 'Positive step' -
Macron and Barrot praised China's steps to resolve the dispute but stressed they would discuss the outstanding differences with Wang.
"This is a positive step towards resolving this dispute, which was threatening our exports," Macron said on X.
"I will continue to raise these issues with the Chinese authorities this afternoon."
In a statement to AFP, Barrot said: "Several major issues remain unresolved, in particular the exclusion of certain players from the scope of the exemptions."
"We remain fully committed to reaching a definitive solution based on the conditions that existed prior to the investigation," he said.
Wang has held fraught meetings in several European countries this week.
After meeting Macron and Barrot, Wang told a press conference: "The two sides had in-depth, active and sincere exchanges on Sino-French and European relations."
No mention was made of the brandy dispute.
Almost all EU brandy is cognac produced in France, whose exports to China are worth 1.4 billion euros ($1.6 billion) per year.
French liquor giant Jas Hennessy said it would face levies of 34.9 percent if it did not stick to the deal. Remy Martin will be hit with 34.3 percent and Martell 27.7 percent.
"The decision to accept the price commitment once again demonstrates China's sincerity in resolving trade frictions through dialogue and consultation," a Chinese commerce ministry spokesperson said in a statement.
However, the European Commission kept up criticism of China's new tariffs.
"We believe that China's measures are unfair. We believe they are unjustified," said commission trade spokesman Olof Gill.
"We believe they are inconsistent with the applicable international rules and are thus unfounded."
- Upcoming summit -
China has sought to improve relations with the European Union as a counterweight to the United States.
But frictions remain, including a yawning trade deficit of $357.1 billion between China and the EU, as well as Beijing maintaining close ties with Moscow since Russia invaded Ukraine.
The trade row blew up last year when the EU moved to impose hefty tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles, arguing that Beijing's subsidies unfairly undercut European competitors.
Beijing rejected the accusation and announced what were seen as retaliatory probes into imported European pork, brandy and dairy products.
The EU imposed extra import taxes of up to 35 percent on Chinese electric vehicles in October.
Beijing lodged a complaint with the World Trade Organisation, which in April said it would set up an expert panel to investigate.
China and the EU are to hold a summit this month to mark the 50th anniversary of their diplomatic ties. But Bloomberg News reported, citing unnamed sources, that Beijing would cancel the second day of the summit, in a sign of the tensions.
A.AbuSaada--SF-PST