-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
US and China meet in bid to 'de-escalate' trade war
Senior US and Chinese officials met in Geneva on Saturday in a bid to de-escalate a trade war sparked by President Donald Trump's sweeping tariff rollout and fuelled by Beijing's strong retaliation.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer were conferring with Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng in the first such talks between the world's two largest economies since Trump slapped steep new levies on China last month.
Shortly after 9:30 am (0730 GMT), Bessent, Greer and around a dozen more US delegates marched through the lobby of Geneva's luxury Intercontinental hotel, ignoring journalists' requests for comment before ducking into waiting cars and speeding off.
The Chinese delegation left from another five-star hotel, the President Wilson on the shores of Lake Geneva, with large police contingents escorting the two convoys through the city, blocking all other traffic on their routes.
By late morning, Chinese state media confirmed the weekend-long talks had begun.
The exact venue had been shrouded in secrecy, but AFP determined they were being held in a discreet location on the other side of the city.
Tariffs imposed on the Asian manufacturing giant since the start of the year currently total 145 percent, with cumulative US duties on some Chinese goods reaching a staggering 245 percent.
In retaliation, China slapped 125 percent levies on US goods, cementing what appears a near trade embargo between the world's two largest economies.
Trump signalled on Friday that he could lower the sky-high tariffs on Chinese imports, taking to social media to suggest that an "80% Tariff on China seems right!".
"The president would like to work it out with China.... He would like to de-escalate the situation," US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told Fox News on Friday.
Trump's press secretary, Karoline Leavitt, clarified that the US would not lower tariffs unilaterally, adding that China would need to make concessions as well.
In any case, a move to that level would be a symbolic gesture, since the tariffs would remain prohibitively steep.
- 'Not good' relationship -
"The relationship is not good" between Washington and Beijing, noted Bill Reinsch, a senior advisor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
"We have trade-prohibitive tariffs going in both directions. Relations are deteriorating," said Reinsch, a longtime former member of the American government's US-China Economic and Security Review Commission.
"But the meeting is a good sign."
"I think this is basically to show that both sides are talking -- and that itself is very important," Xu Bin, professor of economics and finance at the China Europe International Business School, told AFP.
"Because China is the only country that has tit-for-tat tariffs against Trump's tariffs."
Beijing has insisted the United States must lift tariffs first and vowed to defend its interests.
Bessent has said the meetings in Switzerland would focus on "de-escalation" and not a "big trade deal".
The head of the Geneva-based World Trade Organization, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said on Friday she welcomed the talks, calling them a "positive and constructive step toward de-escalation".
- 10-percent 'baseline' -
Bessent and He will meet two days after Trump unveiled a trade agreement with Britain, the first deal with any country since he unleashed his blitz of sweeping global tariffs.
The five-page, non-legally binding document with London confirmed to nervous investors that the United States is willing to negotiate sector-specific relief from recent duties -- in this case on British cars, steel and aluminium.
In return, Britain agreed to open up its markets to US beef and other farm products.
But a 10-percent baseline levy on most British goods remained intact and Trump remains "committed" to keeping it in place for other countries in talks with the United States, Leavitt told reporters on Friday.
A few hours later, Trump appeared to contradict her, suggesting there could be some flexibility to the baseline -- but only if the right deals could be reached.
"There could be an exception at some point. We'll see," he said.
"If somebody did something exceptional for us, that's always possible."
burs-da-nl/vog/rmb
I.Matar--SF-PST