-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
France failed to protect rights of teen rape victims: Europe court
The European rights court condemned France on Thursday for failing to protect the rights of three teenagers who reported rape, including one who accused 14 firemen of abuse.
The European Court of Human Right's decision comes after France has been rocked by a series of high-profile rape cases and as its parliament considers a bill to include lack of consent in the definition of rape.
France had "failed to protect the applicants, who had complained of acts of rape and had been aged only 13, 14 and 16 at the relevant dates, in an adequate manner", the court said.
French courts had also not "taken sufficient account, in evaluating whether the applicants had been capable of understanding and of giving consent, of the particularly vulnerable situations in which they had found themselves", the ECHR added.
In the first case, a girl born in 1995 and known in the French press as "Julie" accused several firefighters of raping her when she was younger than 15.
She was under heavy medication as she suffered from anxiety attacks, and between 2008 and 2010 firefighters on 130 occasions intervened at her home outside Paris after they were called in to help.
In 2010, she and her mother accused one fireman of rape the previous year, once in the presence of two colleagues.
She accused 14 firefighters in total of rape, but almost all of them claimed she had consented to sexual relations.
In 2019, a judge lessened the charges to sexual assault occurring without violence, threat or coercion -- key elements that define rape under French law, sparking outrage from feminists.
-'Wake-up call'-
Following a long legal battle, after she turned to the ECHR, a French court in November last year handed two of the firefighters suspended sentences of four years and 15 months.
French law changed in 2021 so that a child younger than 15 cannot legally give their consent to an adult.
But as the alleged rapes occurred before then, the fire fighters were judged under the old law.
The victim is now largely disabled after several suicide attempts.
The ECHR also condemned France for "secondary victimisation and discriminatory treatment" in Julie's case.
It reported that at least twice French authorities had failed in their duty to protect her dignity, "by permitting the use of moralising and guilt-inducing statements, which propagated gender stereotypes".
Julie's lawyer hailed the decision, calling the ruling a "wake-up call for France".
"The European Court of Human Rights says that French courts cannot behave in this way towards victims of sexual assault and sexual abuse, especially when they are minors," attorney Emmanuel Daoud told AFP.
Daoud said his client was a minor and vulnerable at the time of the investigation.
But during hearings, "Julie was treated like the accused and asked why she had not physically resisted," he said.
For Julie's parents, the ruling "washes away the humiliation and torment" inflicted on them by the police and judicial institutions, Daoud added.
A second victim accused two men aged 21 and 29 of raping her when she was 14 and a police report noted she was "clearly intoxicated".
The defendants had been acquitted at the time of the application to the ECHR.
The third applicant reported that an 18-year-old raped her at her home when she was 16, but the proceedings were dropped for lack of sufficient evidence.
In all three cases, the ECHR found "the French state had failed to fulfil its duty to apply, in practice, a criminal-law system capable of punishing non-consensual sexual acts".
- Consent-based rape law? -
The ECHR's ruling comes after several high-profile sexual assault cases in France sparked a widespread discussion about consent.
In December, a French court found 72-year-old Dominique Pelicot guilty of drugging his then wife Gisele for almost a decade so strangers he recruited online could rape her in her own bed while unconscious.
France is now considering a bill to include a clear reference to lack of consent in the definition of rape.
Advocates say this will enable the law to better hold perpetrators accountable but opponents say they fear the change will lead investigators to focus excessively on the victim's behaviour.
Consent-based rape laws already exist in several European countries including Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Sweden.
M.AbuKhalil--SF-PST