-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Teenage suspect in attack on rabbi sentenced to 16 months in prison
A teenager who attacked a rabbi in a central French city was sentenced to 16 months in prison by the juvenile court on Wednesday, after a long day of hearings in which he denied responsibility.
The attack took place last month as Rabbi Arie Engelberg was walking with his nine-year-old son from a synagogue in Orleans, about 110 kilometres (about 70 miles) south of Paris.
After the teenager was arrested, he told investigators that he was Palestinian, but later said during a hearing that he was Moroccan and 16 years old.
According to his lawyer, the teenager arrived less than a year ago in France, where he has no family.
On Wednesday, he was given a 12-month sentence for the attack, as well as additional time in prison for other cases, including refusing to undergo police testing while in custody and possession of illegal narcotics after being found with two grams of cannabis resin.
He was ordered to remain in detention, Orleans public prosecutor Emmanuelle Bochenek-Puren told AFP, adding that the teenager was also banned for five years from the Loiret department where the assault occurred.
"We have encountered a person who has denied any responsibility," said the rabbi's lawyer, Isabelle Abreu, criticising the minor's attitude of "denying everything" after several hours of a closed-door trial.
Accompanying Engelberg to the hearing was Andre Druon, president of the Jewish community of Orleans, who said the attacker "blamed everything on the rabbi" during the hearing.
"The attacker expressed no form of regret or compassion," Druon said after the hearing.
"I have a community and a family to take care of, we have no choice but to move forward, and we do so with our heads held high," Engelberg said, recalling that he had "defended himself" against his attacker.
- 'A right not to be attacked' -
Describing the incident to BFM television, Engelberg said that his attacker had asked if he was Jewish. "I said yes."
"He started saying 'all Jews are sons of...," he said, adding that he wanted to film him with his phone as he hurled insults.
"I decided to act and I pushed his telephone away," the rabbi said. His attacker then "started punching and I protected myself".
As he arrived in court on Wednesday, Engelberg said that a "strong response" from the judiciary was needed.
"In a democracy like France you have a right to not be attacked," he said.
Two days after the assault, more than 1,000 people marched in Orleans in support of the rabbi.
Last year, France registered 1,570 anti-Semitic acts in France, according to interior ministry figures.
France is home to the largest Jewish population outside Israel and the United States, as well as the largest Muslim community in the European Union.
Several EU nations have reported a spike in "anti-Muslim hatred" and "anti-Semitism" since the Gaza war started on October 7, 2023, according to the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights.
N.AbuHussein--SF-PST