-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Trump tariff rollercoaster complicates ECB rate call
US President Donald Trump's on-and-off tariffs have clouded the picture for European Central Bank policymakers meeting this week to decide whether to lower eurozone interest rates again.
After five straight cuts that brought the central bank's borrowing costs down from historic highs, the ECB looked open to declaring a pause in its monetary policy easing on Thursday.
But Trump's move to impose sweeping tariffs on the European Union and the rest of the world increased the chances of another reduction in interest rates, according to observers.
Even after the US president last week announced a 90-day pause in the implementation of higher duties on many countries -- leaving just a global baseline 10 percent tariff intact -- the probability seemed higher.
"[T]he situation can change in just a few weeks," said Ulrike Kastens, economist at asset manager DWS.
ECB rate-setters gathering in Frankfurt to discuss their next steps were being "caught up in the new trade policy reality", Kastens said.
The impact of possible US tariffs and any retaliation from the European side had increased the "downside risks" for the eurozone economy in 2025, she said.
"The central bank is likely to counter with a further reduction in the deposit rate."
Speaking in Warsaw Friday after talks with EU finance ministers, ECB chief Christine Lagarde said the central bank was "always ready to use the instruments that it has available" should tariffs threaten financial stability.
- 'Big impact' -
Having peaked at four percent as consumer prices soared in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and the Russian inflation of Ukraine, the ECB has brought its benchmark deposit rate down to 2.5 percent.
Inflation in the eurozone has settled towards the ECB's two-percent target, coming in at 2.2 percent in March.
Whether tariffs that made certain imports more expensive would reignite inflation in the 20-member currency bloc would be a "key question" for policymakers, Kastens said.
But the impact was more likely to be disinflationary, she ventured, as a drop in global activity brought down oil prices and cheaper goods destined for the US were diverted to Europe.
Capital Economics analyst Andrew Kenningham agreed, saying Trump's tariff announcements would have a "big impact on the world economy" despite the pause.
"The shock to confidence, trade and investment has increased downside risks to activity," said Kenningham.
"As a result the ECB seems certain to cuts interest rates by 25 basis points."
The conditions created by Trump would eventually encourage the ECB to lower its deposit rate below two percent, all the way to 1.75 percent, Kenningham predicted.
- 'Worst nightmare' -
The advent of a potential trade war looked like "Europe's worst economic nightmare just came true", ING bank analyst Carsten Brzeski said, before Trump made his U-turn.
The stay of execution from Washington prompted Brussels to delay its own plans for retaliation, opening the door for negotiations between the United States and the EU.
Whether the temporary reprieve would calm policymakers' fears remained to be seen.
Observers will listen closely to Lagarde's comments following Thursday's rates announcement to try and gauge the mood within the central bank.
After the last meeting in March, the ECB president said there were "risks all over and uncertainty all over", a reference not just to tariffs but an increasingly turbulent global context.
The "extreme" lack of clarity would prompt the bank to stick to its data-dependent, meeting-by-meeting approach for the time being, Kastens said.
"Further interest rate cuts cannot be ruled out in the short term," she said, but the scope was limited by a promised major fiscal boost in Germany, the eurozone's biggest member.
French central bank chief Francois Villeroy de Galhau, who is also an ECB rate-setter, told newspaper Midi Libre earlier this month that the approaching "victory over inflation" would provide a strong anchor of stability.
"This may give us more confidence to lower our interest rates again soon," he said, albeit before the latest twists in the tariff saga.
L.Hussein--SF-PST