-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Volkswagen says first-quarter profits impacted by Trump tariffs
German auto giant Volkswagen said Wednesday that tariffs on car imports into the United States ordered by President Donald Trump had dragged down its first quarter operating profit.
Europe's largest auto manufacturer said its operating profit in the first three months of 2025 fell to 2.8 billion euros ($3.1 billion) from 4.6 billion euros in the same period last year.
The result "deviates significantly" from market expectations that operating profit would come in at around four billion euros, Volkswagen said in a statement.
The steep drop was due to one-off impacts which totalled 1.1 billion euros, the group said.
These included 600 million euros in provisions related to the European Union's emissions targets for auto manufacturers and another 200 million euros to restructure Volkswagen's struggling software unit.
In addition, Volkswagen said it felt a 300 million euro impact from adjustments in "provisions for the diesel issue" and a write down in the cost of "vehicles in transit in connection with the import duties introduced in the United States at the beginning of April".
Trump last month announced a 25-percent tariff on autos imported to the United States, which is the number one destination for German car exports.
Volkswagen -- a 10-brand group which also includes Audi, Porsche, Seat and Skoda -- sold just over one million vehicles in North America last year, 12 percent of its sales by volume.
About 65 percent of the cars it sells under the Volkswagen brand are shipped into the United States. The figure rises to 100 percent for its high-end Audi and Porsche brands.
The hit to Volkswagen's operating profit came despite the group's sales revenue for the first quarter rising to 78 billion euros from 75.5 billion euros in 2024, an increase of three percent.
The Wolfsburg-based group kept its outlook for 2025, but noted that "announced increased import tariffs, particularly in the United States of America, are still not included in the forecast".
The omission was down to the fact that "the effects and their interactions cannot be conclusively assessed at present".
Volkswagen, which has struggled with foreign competition, said it currently expected sales revenue to increase five percent over the full year in 2025.
The auto group will publish its full results for the first quarter on March 31.
Y.Zaher--SF-PST