-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Europe hits out at Trump tariffs, keeps door open for talks
European leaders hit out Thursday against sweeping new US tariffs, with the EU saying it was ready to respond with countermeasures while opening the door for last-ditch negotiations.
US President Donald Trump unveiled stinging tariffs Wednesday on major trade partners including China and the European Union on what he called "Liberation Day".
The figure for the European Union was 20 percent, and comes after Trump had previously imposed tariffs on steel and aluminium imports as well as cars and auto parts.
The 27-member bloc's chief Ursula von der Leyen called the levies a "major blow to the world economy" and said Brussels was "preparing for further countermeasures".
"I deeply regret this choice," von der Leyen said on a visit to Uzbekistan.
"There seems to be no order in the disorder. No clear path through the complexity and chaos that is being created as all US trading partners are hit."
But she said it was "not too late to address concerns through negotiations", aiming for a cool-headed response to the tariff threat facing the bloc.
Meanwhile Britain said it hoped an economic deal it is trying to strike with the United States would eventually "mitigate" the impact of the 10 percent tariff Trump is imposing on the UK.
However, business minister Jonathan Reynolds said London had "a range of tools at our disposal and we will not hesitate to act".
The French government said just before Trump unveiled his list of tariffs that there would be a sector-by-sector study before the EU announces its response "before the end of April".
French President Emmanuel Macron's office said Thursday that he would meet representatives of French sectors "impacted by the tariff measures".
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday called the new tariffs "wrong" and said the bloc would do all it can "to work for a deal with the United States, aiming to prevent a trade war that would inevitably weaken the West in favour of other global actors".
Meloni's foreign minister, Antonio Tajani, wrote on X that he would meet with EU trade chief Maros Sefcovic in Brussels on Thursday to discuss a response "based on a pragmatic approach, based on dialogue".
After Switzerland was hit with 31 percent tariffs, President Karin Keller-Sutter said the government would quickly decide on the next steps, adding respect for international law and free trade were "fundamental".
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said friendship with the US meant partnership, and therefore "really and truly reciprocal tariffs" would be necessary.
There are also concerns in Europe that Trump's higher customs duties will lead to a flood of cheap goods from other countries, especially China.
Von der Leyen said the EU would be "watching closely what indirect effects these tariffs could have" and vowed to protect the continent's industries.
- 'Do not retaliate' -
Bernd Lange, who leads the EU parliament's trade committee, slammed Trump's "unjustified, illegal and disproportionate measures".
European industry groups also took aim at Trump's move, calling it counterproductive for nations and customers alike.
The German Automotive Industry Association said the tariffs would "only create losers" and urged the EU to act "with necessary force, while continuing to signal its willingness to negotiate".
The Association of the German Chemical Industry called on the EU to "keep a cool head," warning that "a spiral of escalation would only increase the damage".
The EU had already been hit by several US tariff announcements since Trump returned to office in January, including a 25 percent levy on auto imports that came into force last week.
The bloc's producers were also affected by a 25 percent US tariff on steel and aluminium from around the world -- to which Brussels has already promised countermeasures to begin in mid-April.
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned after Trump's announcement that "My advice to every country right now is, do not retaliate."
Speaking to Fox News, he advised the impacted countries and territories to "sit back, take it in... Because if you retaliate, there will be escalation".
H.Jarrar--SF-PST