-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
Prince Harry charity rift blows up as chair makes fresh allegations
A bitter boardroom row at an African charity Prince Harry founded and then quit escalated Sunday after its chairperson accused the prince of "bullying" and being involved in a "cover up".
Earlier this week, Harry and Lesotho's Prince Seeiso announced their departure from the Sentebale charity they founded in 2006 following a "devastating" dispute between trustees and board chair Sophie Chandauka.
Relations with Chandauka, who was appointed in 2023, "broke down beyond repair", they said in a joint statement on Tuesday, prompting trustees to leave and demand that Chandauka resign.
In the latest allegations, Chandauka accused Harry, who founded the charity in memory of his mother Princess Diana, of trying to force her out through "bullying (and) harassment" in an interview with Sky News.
Prince Harry did not give Sky News a formal response to the allegations, but some former trustees have questioned the veracity of the claims.
According to Chandauka, there was a culture of "silence" at the organisation, with board members reluctant to speak out against the Duke of Sussex, whom she accused of "belligerence" in board meetings and beyond.
In one example, Chandauka criticised Harry for his decision to bring a Netflix camera crew to the charity's polo fundraiser last year, as well as an unplanned appearance by his wife Meghan at the event.
Following critical media coverage of the fundraiser, she claimed Harry "asked me to issue some sort of a statement in support of the Duchess (of Sussex)".
She alleged the request to back Meghan was a push by the "Sussex PR machine" that "supports Prince Harry's efforts".
Former trustee Kelello Lerotholi told Sky News he did not recognise the allegations of boardroom rifts and discontent.
A source close to the trustees told the BBC they "fully expected this publicity stunt" after they left the board.
- 'Cover-up' -
Former British politician Lynda Chalker, who quit as a trustee in November after nearly 20 years, described Chandauka's governance style as "almost dictatorial".
Chalker told The Times she left because she was "not happy with the direction" the chair was taking.
Harry founded the charity in honour of his mother with Seeiso to help young people with HIV and AIDS in Lesotho and later Botswana.
"What's transpired is unthinkable. We are in shock that we have to do this, but we have a continued responsibility to Sentebale's beneficiaries," the co-founders said in their resignation.
According to Chandauka, relations broke down after she complained about "the harassment and the misogyny" in the organisation including by individuals on the board.
Harry was not one of the individuals, and they had a "great relationship" before she made the allegations, according to the Zimbabwe-born lawyer.
But she said that after she spoke out, Harry "interfered in the investigation".
"So it's a cover-up, and the prince is involved," Chandauka said, claiming that after that point, the prince wanted her out.
"What Prince Harry wanted to do was to eject me and this went on for months. It went on for months through bullying, harassment," she said.
- 'Aware of concerns' -
Chandauka said she had reported trustees to the UK's Charity Commission regulator and taken her case to the High Court in London.
Harry and Seeiso said Chandauka had "sued the charity" to remain in her position after trustees asked her to step down, adding that they would also share their concerns with the Charity Commission.
The Charity Commission told AFP it was "aware of concerns about the governance of Sentebale".
"We are assessing the issues to determine the appropriate regulatory steps," it said.
The latest accusations are a fresh blow for the prince, who kept up only a handful of his private patronages including with Sentebale after a dramatic split with the British royals in 2020.
While Harry was integral to the founding vision of the charity, to which he once said he was "committed for the rest of my life", Chandauka said "Sentebale has a future" beyond the prince.
"Sentebale is here because of the people in Africa who do the work every single day," the chair said, alleging that "Prince Harry visited Africa for the first time in five years when I asked him to last year".
Harry chose the name Sentebale as a tribute to Diana -- it means "forget me not" in the Sesotho language and is also used to say goodbye.
G.AbuGhazaleh--SF-PST