-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
US judge orders Trump admin to save 'Signalgate' chat
A US judge ordered Donald Trump's administration on Thursday to preserve messages from a chat group used by top national security officials to discuss plans for an attack on Yemen's Huthi rebels.
The ruling adds to the pressure on the White House after the Atlantic magazine revealed that its editor had been accidentally added to the group on the commercially-available Signal app.
Republican Trump has dismissed the scandal as a "witch-hunt" while attacking the Atlantic and its editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg, who broke the story earlier this week.
District Judge James Boasberg -- who has already incurred Trump's wrath after ruling against the administration in a separate migration case -- said he would order the government to "preserve all Signal communication between March 11 and March 15."
He also ordered the government to file details by Monday showing the steps it had taken to preserve the messages.
The dates cover the period between when National Security Advisor Mike Waltz set up the chat -- and mistakenly added Goldberg -- and the day of deadly US airstrikes on the Iran-backed Huthis.
The Atlantic said that Waltz had set some of the Signal messages to disappear after one week, and others after four. "That raises questions about whether the officials may have violated federal records law," Goldberg wrote.
The magazine published the full chat on Wednesday, including sensational messages in which Hegseth revealed the timings of strikes hours before they happened and details of planes and missiles used.
Waltz sent real-time intelligence on the aftermath of an attack, writing that US forces had identified the target "walking into his girlfriend's building and it's now collapsed."
Trump has largely pinned the blame on Waltz -- saying he had admitted he was "responsible" -- while denying that any classified material was shared in the group.
But he has also dismissed calls by Democrats for top officials to resign and insisted instead on what he called the success of the raids on the Yemeni rebels.
- 'Mistake' -
Trump had also launched a fresh attack on Boasberg the night before the latest ruling, saying it was "disgraceful" that he was dealing with the Signal case and calling the judge "highly conflicted."
The president earlier this month called for Boasberg to be impeached after the judge barring the administration's use of an obscure wartime law to deport alleged Venezuelan gang members to El Salvador.
Pressure continues to mount on the White House over "Signalgate," however.
The top Republican and Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee issued a bipartisan call on Thursday for a Pentagon watchdog to probe the claims in the Atlantic.
"If true, this reporting raises questions as to the use of unclassified networks to discuss sensitive and classified information," said a letter from Republican committee chair Roger Wicker and ranking Democrat Jack Reed.
Democrats have claimed that the lives of US service members could have been put at risk by the breach, and the row has raised serious questions about potential intelligence risks.
Trump told reporters on Wednesday that the prospect of a watchdog investigation "doesn't bother me."
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said Thursday that "we have never denied that this was a mistake" and insisted that Waltz had taken "responsibility."
- 'Successful mission' -
US Attorney General Pam Bondi said Thursday that the breach was unlikely to face a criminal investigation.
"It was sensitive information, not classified, and inadvertently released, and what we should be talking about is that it was a very successful mission," Bondi told a news conference.
Washington has vowed to use overwhelming force against the Huthis until they stop firing on vessels in the key shipping routes of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, with the rebels threatening to resume attacks in protest over the Gaza war.
The Huthis said Thursday they had targeted an Israeli airport and army site as well as a US warship, soon after Israel reported intercepting missiles launched from Yemen.
F.AbuZaid--SF-PST