-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
German parliament to vote on huge spending boost for defence, infrastructure
German lawmakers will vote Tuesday on a massive spending boost for defence and infrastructure proposed by chancellor-in-waiting Friedrich Merz amid concern over the United States' commitment to Europe's security.
The hastily drawn plans represent a radical departure for a country traditionally reluctant to take on large amounts of debt or to spend heavily on the military, given the horrors of its Nazi past.
But Merz, 69, whose conservative CDU/CSU alliance won an election last month, has urged swift action as concerns grow that the United States' decades-old commitment to European defence is faltering under President Donald Trump.
In an interview with public broadcaster ARD on Sunday, Merz said the "situation has worsened in recent weeks", citing Trump's overtures to Russia to end the Ukraine war and his wavering commitment to NATO.
"That is why we have to act fast," Merz said.
Merz's plans envisage exempting defence spending from the country's strict debt rules when it exceeds one percent of GDP and setting up a 500-billion-euro ($545-billion) fund for infrastructure investments.
As well as boosting domestic investments, the spending package -- dubbed a fiscal "bazooka" by German media -- would free up an extra three billion euros ($3.3 billion) of support for Ukraine in 2025.
Outgoing Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said the plans were a "strong signal that Germany is serious about its own security, about the security of Ukraine and about the security of Europe".
The massive funding boost represents "a fiscal sea change for Germany," wrote Holger Schmieding of Berenberg Bank.
He added that Merz and his team "are rising to the challenges which Germany is facing in times of almost unprecedented geopolitical upheaval for Europe".
- Political limbo -
Germany is currently in political limbo, with Merz embroiled in negotiations to form a coalition with the Social Democrats (SPD) of outgoing Chancellor Olaf Scholz.
The conservatives and the SPD agreed the plans to boost the country's under-resourced military and ailing economy as part of their initial coalition talks in early March.
But instead of waiting until the new government is formed, the parties want to get the spending plans approved by the outgoing parliament, which remains in place until next week.
In the next chamber, the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) and the far-left Die Linke -- which both oppose the plans -- would have the numbers needed to block them.
Even in the outgoing parliament, the CDU/CSU and SPD are relying on the support of the Greens to help them reach the two-thirds majority required to modify the debt brake.
The Greens had threatened to withhold their support, but a deal was struck late last week with Merz agreeing that 100 billion euros of the infrastructure fund will be dedicated to climate-protection measures.
Merz on Monday said he was "confident" the plans would be voted through on Tuesday.
The deal hangs on a margin of 31 votes, according to Der Spiegel magazine, which warned that "some departing parliamentarians could take the opportunity to get back at the new government with a no vote".
Ursula Muench, director of the Academy for Political Education, said there was still "significant uncertainty" around the vote.
A failure to achieve the required majority would be a "debacle for the coalition in the process of being formed... and ultimately for Friedrich Merz," she said.
The measures must also still be voted through the Bundesrat, the upper house of parliament, on Friday, where they also require a two-thirds majority.
Coalition negotiations often last several weeks, or even months, in Germany. But Merz has set out an ambitious schedule to have a government in place by Easter or soon after.
If all goes according to plan, the new parliament will vote on whether to appoint him as chancellor on April 23.
W.Mansour--SF-PST